Monday, June 15, 2009

A Little Eye Candy.....

Hello fellow bloggers, it's Monday and I have a lot of work to do in the studio today. Over the weekend I got two custom orders for aprons and painted tee shirts. I just have enough time to post a few pretty pictures of some of the beautiful flowers blooming around my home this month. Enjoy the view ;-)
This lovely pink rose bush is one that I purchased at Monticello, Thomas Jefferson's home in Charlottesville, Va. They have a fabulous greenhouse where they propagate and grow old fashioned roses from his original plants...very cool! These are not your new fangled hybrid roses of today, these are very hearty and pest resistant. Best thing about them is that they have a wonderful cinnamon aroma.

The two photos above are the flowers on my front porch. I love my very fast growing purple Clematis which I let vine on the railing. In the winter I cut it to the ground and every spring, it pops right back up almost overnight! A little Song Sparrow is currently raising four babies in a nest in one of them ...so cute. Then I have my knockout roses, geraniums and red verbena.

These beautiful giants are my tall English garden hollyhocks. I got these seeds from the front yard of my sister-in-laws beach house in Montauk, Long Island. My husband planted them last fall and they grew to about 12inches. Winter came and they just hung around..nothing seemed to bother them. They sat there through the winter snow, rain and major ice storm! When the weather got warmer.....Bam!!! they took off growing. They are now about 6 ft tall and still growing, the flowers are about 3 inches round and run all up the thick stem...gorgeous! I will definitely be saving some seeds from these to spread around. They are pink and now some watermelon red flowers are appearing...so pretty.
Well I hope you enjoyed the show...I must get upstairs now and get creative. Remember tomorrow is Tutorial Tuesday, so please come back and see how my Canvas Floorcloth is progressing. Until then be kind and stay creative.

4 comments:

Kelly Ann said...

Hi Janet...I'm raising my hand or should I say I have my hand out..I would love to have some seeds of your giant hollyhocks. Andrew is from Long Island and use to boat with his dad off of Montauk so how cool would it be to have flowers in my yard that originally came from ones in NY. Pleeeesssseeee....

Janet Metzger, Artist said...

Sure..I would love for you to have some Montauk Hollyhocks..I have Montauk Daisy's also..ever heard of them. I tried to get the lovely Montauk sand dune roses to grow here..no luck. My wealthy bro-in-law owns four beach front places in Montauk...Nice! Bill and his family went camping on the state beach there every summer for years. I will let you know when they go to seed.

Unknown said...

Wonderful photos, all we have is rain here, so nice to see the sunshine.

Chasing Snails said...

I really do not have a green thumb, I do not keep up with the latest in the plant world, but cinnamon scented Roses? Wow! My Pop had the most beautiful Roses in his garden and took much pride in them. It is a shame his gardenning thumb did not rub off onto me!

Looking forward to seeing the next instalment on the Canvas Floorcloth!