Thursday, May 13, 2010

Friday is Pieday !

Hello friends...it's time for Pie!! Thanks so much for coming back every week, I love reading all your lovely comments. 
This week I am going to treat you to a wonderful summertime pie that has been a favorite of mine for many years.  You young bloggers may not be aware that before their was a Paula Dean, their was a wonderful southern chef by the name of Nathalie Dupree. I used to love watching her on my local PBS channel. She always created the most delicious food and always with a delightful southern flair. This is a simple Tomato Pie that I know you will love. Let's get cooking! Pretend I am giving all my instructions in a deep southern drawl ;-)
For this pie you will need:
1. 2 large meaty tomatoes 
2. 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
3. 1/2 cup grated good parmesan cheese (please not the Kraft stuff)
4. 1 cup Hellman's Mayonaise (because it's the best!)
5. 1 bunch fresh basil leaves
6. fresh black pepper
7. 1 frozen or fresh pie crust (see side bar for recipe)
Slice your tomatoes rather thickly and lay on a sheet of paper towels. Cover with more paper towels and blot excess juice. In a large bowl mix the two cheeses and black pepper to taste.
Add mayonaise and mix until the cheeses are all blended well.
Pick off about 8-10 basil leaves (plant your Basil seeds now so you will have plenty for the summer). Rinse and place leaves on a paper towel to dry.
Place a layer of tomato on the bottom of the pie shell and lay a few basil leaves over them..repeat with a second layer. Looks like the colors of the Italian flag!
                                       
Carefully spoon the cheese mixture over your tomato layers, being sure to cover all the way to the sides.
Sprinkle more chopped basil leaves on the top of your pie along with some grated parmesan. Now pop it into a 350 degree oven until crust is golden and cheese is golden and bubbly.
This is how you will be rewarded after about 25 minutes. 
You can serve this pie warm or cold. Both ways are wonderful. Warm Tomato Pie will be juicier and the cold pie will be firmer. The rich taste will be the same. 
This pie is perfect for your summer crop of fresh tomatoes and basil. Sliced thinly, it will make a lovely first course for a dinner party or served with a tossed or fruit salad it is the perfect warm weather entrée. I have also made these in mini cupcake pans for appetizers...perfect for a patio party or even a cold picnic lunch. I hope you will give this easy and flavorful pie a try this summer.
Until next time...be kind and stay creative.

13 comments:

Yellow House Knits said...

This is one of my all-time favorite recipes--except I always put green onions in too. To me, this tomato pie IS summer. I've also made it on little bits of puff pastry as a one-bite appetizer, which is awesome too!

Annette said...

I will definitely be trying this one!!

I'm so glad you liked the cookie recipe! :) I have the urge to make some now!!

Marion said...

Now that looks just delish - but sadly I've just started a diet:(

Kelly Ann said...

I sort of had to chuckle when you said "Pretend I am giving all my instructions in a deep southern drawl"...now say y'all......

Audrey said...

Well - I think I'd be the only one in my family to eat this pie. It looks really yummy! But the tomatoes would be a turn off for the boys. Though - that would mean more pie for me :)

SewSweetStitches said...

Ohhhh myyyyy GOOOSHHH that looks good! I LOVE tomatoes, can't wait to try this! Only I still have to make the pie from last week hehe

Janet Metzger, Artist said...

I guess once you put this Linky thing on your post, you can't remove it...arrrrrrg! If anyone knows how to get this off my post...please let me know ;-) I hate the way it looks...too big!!!

Anonymous said...

That pie looks so yummy. If you have one made I will be right over. :) Hugs

The LadyBugs Garden said...

This is such a great light pie..Hey and I love the cookies...

Letherton said...

From FF
Take a minute an check my blog out if you haven't already.
I have lots of great giveaways going on.
Thanks :)

ethertonphotography.blogspot.com

Tweed Thoughts said...

Now that looks delish!! Love tomato and basil together - can I come over? :D

Kathleen Grace said...

Wow. I would never think of mayo and cheese for the filling, it looks really good though!

Dar said...

I have never had a tomato pie...will have to try this one for sure...thanks for sharing
BlessYourWeek