Monday, May 17, 2010

Making Hard Decisions!

Hello friends...before I get to the meat and potatoes of this post, I want to show you something I worked on a couple of weeks ago. I had a request from an old high school friend (no she is not old..just the friendship) who I have reconnected with via Facebook. She lives in Texas and was flying to New York City to spend time with her older sister for her birthday. She wanted to give her sister a special gift...one of my storied aprons. I gathered some personal info on the birthday girl and went to work.  
Here she is

Her story......
Once upon a time in a kingdom far far away, two little girls were born. Birth made them sisters, but life made them friends. Donna and her big sister Lois had been close all their lives. They grew up together in the tiny hamlet of Hyde Park in the kingdom of New York. Lois' birthday was fast approaching and Donna wanted to give her something special. Something no one else would think to give her. Donna had a friend, Janet, who made all of the Queens official ceremonial aprons. Hey..a queen has to look good when she knights all her palace chefs. Donna went to Janet and asked her to create a unique apron just for Lois. She told Janet all about her sisters favorite colors and loves. Janet went to work on trying to include all this information in her design.
For the fabric of the apron Janet choose a beautiful green French toile because Lois loved green and all things French (she has been to Paris you know). The color green also represented the joy of spring and new beginnings. Because Lois had a love for thrift and antique shops, Janet used many of these elements. The full ruffle at the hem was taken from a vintage child's sundress and the yellow stood for cheerfulness Lois brought to all around her. The front pocket was fashioned from an antique Irish linen napkin someone had cast away and was trimmed with one of Janet's vintage hankies. Notice the delicate green crocheted lace edge...lovely! More salvaged crocheted lace from a vintage blouse was added to the apron bib. So Lois would feel oh so chic and feminine, Janet created a fabric brooch from eyelet lace and the hem of a vintage pillowcase. Of course no apron is complete without a gorgeous full and sexy bow. Janet fashioned hers from a soft vintage pillowcase and it was dotted with pretty yellow roses. 
The use of all the antique and vintage materials was to show Lois that as the years pass by, their sisterly love for each other will only increase in beauty and value. Janet wishes Lois a Very Happy Birthday and hopes she wears her new apron with pride and love. xox 
Donna and Lois spent a lovely weekend in NYC with Oprah! Donna e-mailed me to say Lois loved her apron...that made me smile  :-)
*************************************
Ok...now down to business. I showed you my apron for another reason also. I have been trying my best to juggle all this internet stuff. Blogging..Twitter..Facebook and Convos on Etsy and I have come to the sad realization that I can't do it anymore without the creative side of my brain suffering.  It is all becoming too much like a job...something I HAVE to do instead of WANT to do. I know for many bloggers out there the blog is their job...they make money from blogging. That's not me. I love the wonderful friendships I have made with people all around the world. I could care less how many followers I have... am not in it for the numbers. In fact I am considering taking the 'Followers' button off my page. I'm not saying I don't want followers....I'm saying I can do without the pressure of the exact number. I adore my followers..you are why I am here. You all inspire me and make me smile...that I can never get enough of.
What I have come to know is that this computer is dominating my time...time that I need to be spending in my studio. I have so much going on in my home right now...room makeovers...home improvements..that kind of stuff. I have some new ideas for my Etsy shop and also thoughts on a second shop...so much in my head! I need to concentrate on what I love best..... creating and not typing.
So I have decided that for a while anyway, I will only be posting once maybe twice a week. So sorry to say Pieday will be taking a break also (we are starting to consume way too much pie!) I will still throw in some great recipes now and then..a girls gotta eat! Twitter will be twittled down and Facebook will also be a check in before I go to bed thing. 
I have so many fabulous blogs that I love to read and I always like to leave a comment.  All that reading and commenting takes hours sometimes! I have to get back to my original reason for all of this.....my craft!
So with a heavy heart I ask for your understanding. Please don't interpret this as some big headed 'artist' needing her space...that is not me at all. I'm just a gal who has realized she needs to get back into her studio on a full time basis.
I still look forward to checking with all of you so keep writing those wonderful posts.
Until next time...be kind and stay creative.....You guys rock!


25 comments:

Kelly Ann said...

what you need is a good cup of joe and a scone from GHB...it'll recharge your brain...or make up your butt big but either way you'll have change...see ya around town...

Marilyn said...

Hi Janet. It is so hard to juggle all of the networking, marketing, blogs and keep up on the work at hand.....to create! I will certainly look forward to ANY and ALL posts on your blog and sure hope I will still run in to you on Facebook! You are so creative and talented....that should come first.

Love ya, girl!

Marilyn

Kathleen Grace said...

First of all, the apron is gorgeous, of course! Second, oh I SO understqand what you are saying about blogging. I almost decided last night to call it quits, so much going on in my life, so much pressure and the fact that I have NO TIME to post anything weighs on me. I want to blog more, but I just can't find the hours in the day. I am compromising for now by doing what little I can, but it's a rough patch for sure. We all need to do what we have to.

Tweed Thoughts said...

Hi Janet - good for you! I have exactly the same dilemma with the computer networking 'thingy' - I blog when I feel like it, but will probably have to cut back a little too. Now get back into that studio and create - and that's an order, hehe!!
(Fabulous apron BTW!!)
Alison x

Momrempel said...

Totally hear what you are saying! I love your blog posts and can't wait to read what you have next. By the way, that apron is beautiful! You are so talented!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful apron; such a busy life doesn't make way for everything you want to do. Enjoy your work, and blog when you can.

CJ xx

The LadyBugs Garden said...

Glad you said this first..it is work and it takes the fun away from the real reason we love our shops and crafting..love reading all the blog

Gretel said...

You DO need a break! It is hard work and muddles the brain trying to keep up with everything, that is why I *disappear* from time to time. Have a lovely break, and remember, the world won't come to an end if you don't blog every day! And we will enjoy your words all the more for their rarity. :)

Janet Metzger, Artist said...

thanks to all of you...I needed to hear these words :-)

Lisalulu said...

I understand, and have been contemplating this myself! love your work and hate to have it suffer!

Atelier Conti said...

I couldn't agree with you more! It's exactly my problem as well...and the creative side is what HAS to get those limited hours. Good decision!

A Basket Case said...

Good for you! I will still check your delightful, creative blog regularly to see what great creations you're working on. You have some beautiful photography as well which I enjoy. I live in Washington state and it's always nice to check out the environs of others. Happy creating!

Marie said...

I think you expressed perfectly what several of us have been feeling. I have had to cut back on the time I spend on THE BLOGS to squeeze in more 'family' time and 'more time in the studio'. Good move -

Hugs - Marie

Jami said...

Janet, I get this completely. Lovely apron! I think the social networking thing has taken over in some ways. It's very cool on so many levels but us creative types need t-i-m-e. I can while away many an hour on the computer and nothing in the studio gets accomplished. We'll look forward to seeing your posts when they come forth. Take care.

Jennifer Juniper said...

First, that apron is amazing!

Second, I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. I have spent time away from answering all my comments due to no time! I'm so torn, I love to respond but it takes an enormous amount of time. I"m thinking of answering only the first 10 each day or something...what do you think?

Aprons and More said...

I completely understand! As you know I only post on the blog every once and a while...When I can find something interesting to say! I have a facebook fan page and try to say a little something every few days...but I forget. It's hard to spend time on the computer when I have a stack of fabric behind me calling my name! Oh the ideas...I was going to Twitter, even signed up...but thought it pointless! It takes too much time and I don't care. So best of luck to you on your new creations! Post some every now and then, okay?! And check-in when you feel like it!

Katy :)

Annette said...

I just adore the apron and the story that goes with it! As for the rest, I'm right there with you. Many things have happened the last few weeks to make me realize I've had my priorities screwed up and it's time to get them back in order. I spend hours on the computer and it's draining me. So, I understand and look forward to seeing your new creations!

Claire said...

Oh Janet I thought you were going to say you would be disappearing completely - big sigh of relief.

I just love your beautiful aprons and photos.

Glad you have been able to reassess things so you can be more creative, relaxed and have time for all those other projects life throws at you.

Great story to go with your latest apron, made me smile thinking about those chefs being knighted.

Thanks for dropping by my blog and leaving a comment. Cats are keeping me company at the moment, seeing as though my 'boys' are over in your neck of the woods.

Audrey said...

LOVE the apron!! Totally understand how blogging can take up too much time :) Will miss pie day though!
Have fun creating!!

My Life Under the Bus said...

Lovely apron !!! Thats the great thing about blogging - you can do as much or as little as you want ! Have fun : )

Unknown said...

The apron is beautiful!
I understand you absolutely!!!

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

Janet, you are so talented, and you're making a good decision....we'll all still be here for those times when you want to share something on here! Blogging is so time consuming and it's so important to have balance. Can't wait to see your future projects. That apron is lovely!!

Angie @ thejunkranch said...

I'm so glad you said this outloud...so to speak...social networking is overwhelming for me as well. Sometimes I get on a roll and go with it, then the next thing I know I'm stressing out over it. I've cut waaaay back and am getting so much more done in the studio.
Something too that I've noticed is that I haven't had as many comments as I did a year ago...we all are so pushed for time. I don't always leave comments either even when I'd actually like to.

Keep up the beautiful aprons and I look forward to reading your posts whenever you get the chance to write.

Claire said...

Hey Janet thanks for the encouraging comments. Yes, Autumn is beautiful as is Spring.
Thanks for visiting my blog and I will think of you when I am enjoying the glorious scenery around me.
My boys are in West Virginia this coming weekend,enjoying the warm weather and your picturesque countryside.

Miss Mustard Seed said...

Your aprons are so pretty! I love the big boy on the back. I think all girls love big bows deep down. :)