Thursday, December 16, 2010

New York City Gets It Right Every Time

I know all Christmas trees are beautiful....but why does our National Christmas Tree in Washington, D.C always have to look like a torpedo?
 Really...every year it looks like this.
Now this is a Christmas Tree!
Rockefeller Center in New York City always has a spectacular tree.
You will have to forgive my biased opinion...I am a New Yorker after all ;-)
Hello friends.....I have been trying to muster up some Holiday spirit, but it seems to be eluding me. I did manage to buy a Christmas tree last Sunday. We picked a doozy of a day too....freezing cold weather with a wind chill factor of about 13 degrees! My hubby dragged me out to a tree lot operated by the Boy Scouts.  Buy a tree and do a good deed at the same time...at least until we looked at their inventory...could not find a Frasier Fir under 12 feet tall!! Who buys trees that big??
I have to admit, they had the cutest little salesmen (boys). All rosy cheeked and so eager to help you..it made me smile.
Then hubby dragged me to another lot. He was determined to infuse some holiday gaiety into me.
I walked up to a nice little 6 foot Frasier Fir and said" that's it...here is the tag, go pay for it"
My hubby stood aghast with his mouth wide open. I think he was in shock. To understand his reaction, you have to appreciate the fact that I have never picked out a tree without having the lot helper hold it out and slowly twirl it around so I can see all sides. Everyone knows your tree has a 'good' side and a 'wall' side. Am I right gals? This whole process can take at least 4 hours in multiple lots. It always seems all the lot helpers are suddenly out to lunch when I arrive. Do you think I am getting a reputation?
I hope to have my little tree up and decorated this weekend...baby steps folks.

I would like to thank all my internet friends for all your kinds thoughts. I seem to find myself quite weepy this past week and I am working on capturing some joy in my life. If you have ever lost a loved one you will understand how I am feeling...it just takes time...lot's of time.
Until next time...be kind and stay creative.

7 comments:

Aprons and More said...

Can't wait to see your tree!

k:)

Kelly Ann said...

xoxoxoxo

Bobby - #4 said...

I think DC is going for the Medieval Holiday Chainmail Armor look. Maybe it's made to be jihad proof?
I always find the perfect tree rather quickly until they cut the bottom few limbs off which then drastically changes the whole look again. And what ever happened to the Noble Fir??? The most beautiful tree of all which lent itself so perfectly for ornament hanging and lighting. I sought those out exclusively until they apparently became extinct. Oh well....
Merry Christmas!!!

Sweet Birdy Love said...

Hey Janet, I have been thinking of you and then see you had posted..........
I'm sure your tree will be lovely .
Thinking of you, first Sunflower out and the plant must be close to 8 feet high.
Lovely sunny day, but more rain on the way.
Claire X

TJM wanna be quilt artist said...

And remember it's normal to have the sadness hit you when you least expect it...hugs...remember also it's one day at a time

Atelier Conti said...

I totally agree with you about the Christmas tree thing! Here in France they don't quite understand all that.

Julie said...

Hi Janet, I was wondering how your friend was doing after you said you were putting blogging aside for a while to care for her. I was very sad when I looked through your recent posts to find she had passed away. I just wanted to say you sound like you were a lovely friend to her in her final days and send you my best wishes. Hope to talk with you again someday. Julie