Monday, April 5, 2010

What to do With Your Easter Ham Bone


DIY Day @ ASPTL
                                  
Hello friends, it's Tutorial Tuesday again with Jen at Hope Studios. My tutorial is from a previous post back in February, but I know many of you enjoyed a ham dinner this weekend, so I decided to repost. I have a lovely Easter ham bone and I thought what a perfect way to get a second meal from it. So come along with me and let's make some delicious Split Pea Soup. I know what some of you may be thinking " ugh...green soup..yuk". Believe me when I say I have converted many a naysayer when it comes to my Split Pea Soup.  Just ask my guys who makes the best soups and they will (and better) say MOM!! Ok...let's go.........
First put your ham bone in a large dutch oven or soup pot and cover with a large can of vegetable or chicken broth and water. If you are a real Julia Child, you can make homemade broth. I love to take creative short cuts when available. I add some good quality garlic powder and fresh ground pepper. Bring to a boil and simmer covered until meat starts to fall off bone, about 1 hour. Rinse dried peas and add. Let simmer for another 45 min -60min. Carefully remove ham bone and all meat to a bowl and let cool enough to pick the  meat off of the bone. Set aside for later.
Coarsely chop 1 large onion, 1 bunch of celery and about 8-10 carrots. I like the celery and carrots so I add alot and they do tend to cook down. I also add a couple of chopped potatoes towards the end. If you add potatoes to early, they cook down to nothing.

                        
When peas are almost tender, add all your vegetables and simmer until tender. When they are just about cooked through, add the potatoes. Simmer covered until all veggies are tender. Salt to taste. By now you will notice that the peas have all cooked down and can see that they are thickening the soup as they do so. The soup will take on that lovely soft green color it is famous for. Last, but not least...add the meat back in. That's it...get ready to enjoy your fabulously warm, very healthy and comforting homemade soup. This soup is even better the next day and freezes well. Be sure to bake up some crusty bread (I'm waiting Gretel) or flaky biscuits to make your meal complete.                    
Well time for me to go enjoy some of my soup. 
Until next time, be kind and stay creative. Be sure to check out all the other wonderful tutorials over at Hope Studios with Jennifer. Add your own and you could win a fabulous prize! Last tuesday it was one of my couture aprons.                                                               

10 comments:

Dar said...

It has been awhile since I have had the chance to visit and I love what I see, as usual.
Here in N central WI it was a heatwave today of 8 above, warming to 20 degrees F. I took a walk, it was so nice compared to the -30 degrees windchill of last week.
Your soup looks very warming and who doesn't love split pea soup? I made Veg. Venison soup today from scratch with homemade egg dumplings...oh, so good. We both had brilliant soups.
As for your creativity, mercy child, you put me to shame. I am currently knitting a vest in the box stitch but I flipped when I saw your clutches. The pink floral is my favorite also, tho I have something that would go with each one. They are lovely Janet.
Keep creating,....you are a true artist., not a wanabe...
Blessings Be Yours

Kelly Ann said...

Great minds think alike, we had split pea soup and homemade corn bread for dinner tonight, and yes I made it last night so it was yummier tonight.

Tweed Thoughts said...

That soup looks just fab! Your little clutches are just lovely - perfect for Spring :)

Aprons and More said...

Yummy! The sound great! Perfect for a SNOW day! Here in Central GA there is "a chance of a posibility" of the white stuff for tonight. Just that hint of snow has all the grocery stores sold out of bread and milk! With such an idea of snow has my nephew beside himself with anticipation! Hopefully we will get a dusting and not cold sleet! Soup sounds like a great idea...if only I didn't have to go to the grocery store...
Katy :)

Sue said...

This weather is so conducive to hot soup and bread! I'll be putting together a bean soup in the crock pot as soon as I finish visiting my blogging friends. We are expecting more snow, and it is starting to come down. Cold day, hot soup, warm hearts.....
Have a good one! ~ Sue

Wanda..... said...

Homemade soup and crusty bread is what we had for New Year's dinner. Yours looks very good to me right now, here in the middle of our snowstorm.
What you do with left over fabric is beautiful Janet! BTW...I'm on my husband's computer, still can't get here if using mine!

Patsy said...

Love the clutches, and yes pink is my favorite! Great job.

Jennifer Juniper said...

What a timely tutorial! Come on girls, pull out that ham bone...we aren't done with it yet :)

Carry Grace said...

Now I wish I had a ham bone!

Wendy said...

Oh, it looks so yummy! Perfect for this cool, rainy day here at my house. Too bad we had Easter dinner at my M I L's 5 hours away and I don't have a ham bone. But the recipe is a keeper. ☺