Friday, April 8, 2011

Montmirail, France Inspired Couture Apron

Hello friends and welcome back. This is a very special post today with many photos. Please get comfortable and stay for a while. I promise you will not be disappointed.
To begin with I would like to crush the myth that all things french in design and style are white or pale bleached out colors. 
I used to think that until I met a lovely blogger named Nancy. Visiting Nancy is on my 'bucket list' of things to do.
Nancy and her husband Rick are Americans living the dream of running a French B&B, called Maison Conti. This beautiful B&B is in Montmirail, France.
And that is where my inspiration begins........
While shopping (no, not at the Mall, silly!) at my local Salvation Macy's, I spotted this gorgeous tangerine orange linen skirt. The color stopped me in my tracks! I had recently seen that color, but where?
It was only $4.00 and I immediately knew it was destined to become a couture apron.
When I got home I started to look through my photos on my laptop and there it was.......the very place I had seen this vibrant color.
The fabulous interior of Nancy's Bed & Breakfast!
Her bright printers studio, where she and her talented husband create and give workshops in printing and etching. Nancy is also a talented artist and budding photographer. If you don't follow her blog, you should. The photos are lovely and you are treated to beautiful tours of her village, the countryside and Paris!
Just look at the exterior of her Inn...see that turret in the back left.
Nancy has a CASTLE in her back yard for crying out loud!!!!
Just look at this place!
I thought I had a great backyard view!
Don't book a flight till you finish my post  
;->
See no white anywhere
The rooms are all named after colors (again no white)..OK, a little white on the fireplace.
This is one of my favorite photos of Nancy and Ricks home.
Pay attention..as you will see these colors again..
Like here!
I adore this staircase. The painted risers and the trompe -l'oeil railing..all divine.
Even Nancy's adorable grandson, Quinn is in tune with the colors of Montmirail .
So after going over all these wonderful photos and being drenched in French color, I designed my newest Couture apron
*
*
*
'Mademoiselle Montmirail'

Isn't she so ....Oh-La-La?
She is composed of two thrifted skirts, remnant ruffle fabric, vintage placemat with lace, 1940's tablecloth and a little quilters cotton.
I had so much creative fun designing her
 Mademoiselle's sweet lace trimmed bib
Vintage placemat pocket with white lace trim at the waist
Orange linen skirt, yellow and blue ruffle and blue print skirt hem
I may be shining my own apple, but I think she captures the colors and beauty of this picturesque French village. I have decided to submit Mademoiselle Montmirail for consideration in the 2012 issue of 'Apronology' wish her luck on her journey to California!

So I hope you enjoyed your snippet of Montmirail, France. I recommend Nancy's blog '52 Weeks in a French Village'  for  beautiful photos and great posts.  She writes a post every week and it is always interesting. Tell her Janet sent you.

So until next time...be kind and stay creative.
I leave you with a little bit of Spring from my garden
Have a lovely weekend everyone and please comeback again.
Joining In Here
Simply Designing Blog
The Shabby Nest Blog
The Shabby Chic Cottage Blog
Between Naps On The Porch
Dittle Dattle Blog
All Things Heart and Home

29 comments:

Mallory said...

Love the pictures of France and I LOVE the apron you made! It's absolutely adorable!

Cindy said...

What a stunning apron - too prety to wear while working in the kitchen!

Cindy
www.sidetrackedartist.com

Kathleen Grace said...

Another fabulous flight of fancy Janet. I happen to think that color is so much more fun than all white, and you captured the colors in Nancy's french B&B perfectly! WOnderful!

outofthedark said...

gorgeous!

Lydia Armstrong said...

I love this. So pretty. I want to wear this over a dress.

Claire said...

Hey Janet, another wonderful creation, loving all the colour and detail, it looks lovely in your 'new' kitchen with those gorgeous golden Daffodils on the bench.
Think I recognise a placemat there, makes a great pocket too.

Shall pop over to Nancy's blog for a visit but am worried I will be packing my bags and saying 'ooroo' to the boys before I'm done...........

Have a wonderful weekend, hope it's blue sky and sunshine all the way.

Claire X

Grace @ Sense and Simplicity said...

Gorgeous - the colours are so happy, and yes, so much like the amazing French home.

Annette said...

She's just gorgeous, but I knew she would be! I'm going to go visit this blog and daydream for a little while! Have a wonderful weekend!

The LadyBugs Garden said...

Beautiful Janet! She looks nice in your gorgeous new kitchen...
Stephanie

Dar said...

Janet, Dear, You have inspired once again. I have fallen in love with tangerine and the gorgeous French apron you have created. Such a talent you are...then you tease with your beautiful flowers...your tulips are divine. I am so ready for colors of spring in my presently dingy gardens. Snow, go!
BlessYourHeart

Atelier Conti said...

What a lovely surprise to wake up to dear Janet! I just love your apron, as I love ALL your creations, but this one, for some reason or other ;^) is at the top of my list. The colors and shapes and all those pretty details. You are an amazing artist. That apron would look right at home here in France!

Gretel said...

Going to hop over to her blog now and take a look! Have to admit, I do prefer the 'pale and interesting' French look, but I love the colour of that skirt!

Leigh Powell Hines said...

Janet,

I'm just going to say OMG. You are the most talented and creative person I know. Taking that orange throw away skirt into pure loveliness.

It's gorgeous! As you know, traveling is up my alley so I'm hopping over to your friend's blog right now. Beautiful house!!

Anonymous said...

The apron is a work of art... frame her! No seriously... much too pretty to wear.

Di

Aprons and More said...

Such inspiration! The pictures and the skirt...You have got me thinking and looking in my closet!! I'll let you know what I find!

Katy :)

NicNacManiac said...

Oh my goodness!!
This is my first visit, let me pick up my jaw and leave you this note. You have captured the french countryside with your beautiful apron...koodos!! The beauty that you created with a drop cloth...WOW, I know I will be spending the rest of the day here being inspired!!
Happy Weekend xOxO

Amy W. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amy W. said...

I happened to just "be-fell" on your blog-site by way of reference from another blog-site.
So glad I did!!
Your style of writing is way-up-to-up-lifting funny!!!
Loved and enjoy reading your post today...and oh my.....you just ooze with super-talent!! Love the Apron design!! Fantastic!!!
You've loaded some joy onto this tired winter-weary Michigan girl!!!
Thanks!! :)

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

Honey I don't think I have ever seen a lovelier apron than this one. Wow it is just so awesome in every way. I love the colors and the design. You aced this one for sure.
I would give anything if you would show this off on my site ....you could be a blogazine guest and show your apron. I want everyone of my friends to see this. I love it.
Your friends site and home sound beautiful. I am off to visit her too.
Just had to come by and thank you for your get well wishes. I have been in bed all day and I forced myself to get up for a while and look what I would of missed if I had not. lol
Love ya honey and would love for you to be a blogazine guest. Just let me know if your interested
grandmayellowhair@gmail.com
Love
Maggie

Maddie Kertay- The Domestic Anarchist said...

Ohhhh I love those deep color drenched tones that make you think of juicy fruit on a hot Summer day!.. LOVING the apron!!

Maddie. the D.A.

Anonymous said...

A truly beautiful apron. How superbly creative you are!
Tammy

Jennifer Juniper said...

I've always said I love how you bring a story to life with your aprons - what fantastic colors in that house!

the treat girl said...

Wowza!!!!!!! Looooove it!!!! That house would be a dream come true!!!

~ ~ Ahrisha ~ ~ said...

Hi Janet~ ~It's a pleasure to meet you. Your apron is a gem! Thanks for the heads up about the B&B in France. I have the urge to do the same and I have never even visited France yet but I am on my way to her blog right now.
~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

BumbleVee said...

Wow..... Mademoiselle is beeyoootiful!!

Rebecca @ My Girlish Whims said...

Very oh la la :)


Thanks for linking up to Your Whims Wednesday! Hope to see ya again this week :)

Anonymous said...

I've spent the last 2 or so hours going thru your blog and ohhhhing and ahhhhhing. But this apron.... I just shouted! It is sooooo pretty! I am so inspired! I was amazed at your slipcovers, and now these aprons! But, I just had to take a minute here to tell you that I am having a wonderful time looking at your pictures. I am on my 2nd iced coffee, so I will probably be on your blog all night long! We did redo our kitchen a few years ago beadboarding and painting everything white. It makes such a difference. I would love to live in the country like you do - but so far, doors have closed. Ok, I'm rambling now. It must be the coffee! Hugs, Patti

BonjourRomance said...

Glad to find you Janet. The detail on this apron is marvelous!
I'm your newest follower both my personal blog, Bonjour Romance and my Belle Inspiration Magaizne blog.
à bientôt,
Mimi

Anonymous said...

beats by dr dre rtwzellj beats by dre jpldqumb beats dr dre kxgbhkoh beats for sale aidradha beats headphones rtqzrqnq cheap monster beats kdubgtxc dr dre beats shouvpzy dr dre headphones ppiufelp monster beats by dre dazjvqrp monster beats headphones xbdoruqt monster beats mmreaqiu monster headphones iyobbbzl