Sunday, May 22, 2011

Box Cake Restyle!

 Hello friends...so happy to see you back for a visit.
Last week I posted a few photos of the cake I baked the Secret Agent for his birthday. I got so many e-mails with requests for the recipe.
So here you go.
Now remember, I told you this was not from scratch, but actually starts out as a box cake.
But believe me, no one will know...so feel free to throw out the empty box and claim it as your own creation.
I'll never tell!
White Almond Cake with Fresh Fruit Filling and Cream Cheese Frosting
Isn't this a gorgeous looking cake?
You won't believe how easy it is.
Are you ready to bake?
Here we go...
Ingredients:
I box Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe white cake mix (preferred brand)
1 1/3 cups water
3 large egg whites
2 tablespoons melted butter..no substitutes!!!
2 teaspoons pure almond extract..NOT imitation!
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract..NOT imitation!
Using an electric mixer beat for about 2 minutes or until well blended
Bake at 350 degrees (preheated) for about 25-30 minutes or until very pale golden
Do not overbake
I used 2 basic round cake pans
Hint: cut pieces of parchment paper to fit bottom of baking pans and your cakes will come out beautifully without sticking
I know it sounds like a lot of extract flavoring, but trust me...this is the secret of this cake.
For the filling I crush fresh berries or if none are in season, I buy a really good jar of preserves.
Strawberry or Raspberry are great with this cake
Both work very well.
Ok...now for the frosting. 
My sisters know better than to ever use canned frosting in front of me. I hate the stuff and there is no reason why you can't make homemade frosting. Your family will love you forever!
You don't even need a recipe...a basic frosting is almost always a ratio of 3 cups confectioners sugar to 1 stick butter (real butter please!) 1 teaspoon of flavoring, vanilla or almond..etc...and enough milk to create the right spreading consistency.
That's it!!

Cream Cheese Frosting:
1 Box Confectioners sugar (3 cups)
1 stick softened butter (no margarine..too much water)
1 3oz package softened cream cheese
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
enough milk to get spreading consistency

Beat  together the butter and cream cheese
add vanilla
Add the sugar and while beating gradually add your milk until your frosting becomes a nice smooth consistency for spreading.
Be sure to add the milk a little at a time
If you happen to make it too soft, just add a little more sugar.

Once the cake layers are completely cooled, frost the bottom layer and push some frosting out to the edge to create a little wall that will help to keep the fruit from leaking out.
Spread your fruit on top of the frosting 
Place your second layer on top of that 
Give the whole cake a crumb coat, which is a VERY light layer of frosting.
Chill to set (harden a bit) the crumb coat
Once the crumb coat is set, continue to frost the sides first and then the top.
To make my swirl design, using an offset cake spatula, I start at the edge and pull in a curving motion to the center.
Do this all around the top as pictured
Place some fresh berries in the center for a very pretty presentation
Now comes the best part...
*
*
EAT CAKE!!!!

I hope you try this cake..it is really wonderful. I have baked it for birthdays..graduations..anniversaries. I have made cupcakes..sheet cakes..it never let's me down.

Until next time...be kind and stay creative
And eat cake!

Sharing with these fun blogs this week:


                                                                    Joy of Desserts Blog




southern hospitality
Tip Junkie handmade projects










23 comments:

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

Thank you so very much for the recipe! I cannot wait to try it!!

Janet said...

Janet,

This sounds delicious; I love white cake and the fruit and cream cheese make it just about perfect :)

Claire said...

Hey Janet, "Birthdays are Nature's way of telling us to eat more cake' A.U.

So guess what I'm going to have for my next birthday and it's such a shame that hubby's birthday is 4 days after mine............shall have to make another as my cake should be finished by then except for a crumb or two.

It sound delicious and very easy. Just to clarify the packet mix as we have different brands here. A white cake mix, is that white chocolate perhaps or just a plain vanilla mix?

I want to make sure I get this right.

Claire :}

Kathleen Grace said...

Yum! I can't wait to try this:>)

Joy @ Joy Of Desserts said...

You decorated it so well. Love those gorgeous strawberries and the jam. That's the way to doctor up a box cake. Welcome to Monday, Mmm ... Dessert. I'm glad you linked up and look forward to your continued participation.

Amy W. said...

This is like coming home from a long day of work...and finding a brilliant shiny pot of gold awaiting for me!!
Thanks so very much!!
I'm making this up for Memorial Day
and I'll be thinking of you every step of
the way!!
Thanks again!!!

Rachel said...

That looks utterly delicious! I can never get mine to look so neat! (Which is why it's even more important that they TASTE good! :)

Wanda..... said...

Would love your cake, Janet...in fact I just posted a photo of a like-minded cake...Mango-Peac Pecan Delight! So similar! :)

Jennifer Juniper said...

It looks so beautiful and this recipe sounds delicious! Can't wait for an occasion...hey, tomorrow is Tuesday! That's occasion enough for me!

Lydia Armstrong said...

This looks so yummy.

Annette said...

Looks heavenly and I bet it goes perfect with a cup of tea!

Hope you're having a great day! :)

The LadyBugs Garden said...

I love this cake. It's pretty and taste great. I know Bill will enjoy it for his birthday..
Happy Birthday Bill!!
Stephanie

Michelle Murray said...

Looks super yummy ^_^

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

OMGosh this cake is to die for and I am so trying not to eat before bedtime. lol
Gosh girlfriend how I would love to be at your home right now sharing a big piece of this and chatting with you about all your beautiful creations.
You need to do a blogazine post for me sometime so everyone can get to know you.
I am off to catch up with you while I am lucky enough to be here
Love
Maggie

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

I am popping over from Rhoda's recipe party. Hope you enjoy my orange muffins (link #99.)

What a beautiful cake. It looks so delicious, too.

Fondly,
Glenda

Melinda Ke said...

Thanks for posting the recipe, it looks so good! Normally I refuse to buy a boxed mix, but I may have to make an exception for this one...it looks to yummy to pass up! :)

Jessica said...

so yummy!!! i am jealous that you seem to be an excellent baker. i am not. i wish i could hire you to make this cake for me.i know, people always say, "oh it's easy, you can do it!" then i prove them wrong haha. i once caught a frozen pizza on fire. yah. like i said, i wish i could hire a person to make yummy things like this for me. : )

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for sharing this wonderful cake recipe. I can't wait to give this one a try. Oh, it looks so yummy!
Tammy

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love strawberries on everything! I just entered your giveaway for the tote...oh how I would LOVE to win...and I can't 'follow' right now! Our followers list still seems to be missing! I'll follow when it's back up! Thanks! ♥

Sachiko said...

This cake looks so yummy!

Beth J. Beal said...

And yet another excellent find. All the great stuff I found today seems to be on your blog! I definitely have to try this cake!

Beth J. Beal said...

Hi Janet, making your cake today!

Adele Forbes said...

That cake looks and sounds so wonderful, I am a purest as yourself is when it comes to pure extracts and homemade frosting. Thank you so very much for sharing. It is on my list of to do's for the family I cook for when they come back for the summer.