Thursday, July 7, 2011

Are you a Fake Fruit Lover or Hater?

Hello friends...welcome back.
So where do you stand on fake fruit?
Are you a devoted fan or do you cringe at the sight of a faux pear?
As for me...I have never been a fan.
They never looked real enough for me.
They always seemed so......1950's.
And I don't mean the good parts of the 1950's.
While scouring my Salvation Macy's today, I spotted this very large basket filled with some very real looking fake fruit.
Yellow and green pears with a few oranges mixed in.
The whole thing was priced at $6.50...shoot, the basket was worth that much!
SOLD!
Now what the heck am I going to do with all this fruit?
Ok...everyone say it with me.........
Paint them with Annie Sloan chalk paint!
No...I get no residuals for mentioning Annie's name in every post
;->
Here they are with one coat of OLd White, Louis Blue, 
Duck Egg Blue and Scandinavian Pink.
Hint:
Keep your blow dryer close...I dryed these in about 30 sec!
Once dryed I applied a coat of clear wax..let dry..and buffed to a beautiful sheen.
Careful...not too shiny, you don't want them to look like plastic.
Now this fake fruit I would be proud to display in my home.
Aren't they gorgeous?
Boring plastic fruit now beautifully updated for the modern home.
Ah....the power of paint!
These will be going to my shop at the Fox Den.
They would look lovely  nestled in a pretty basket or antique fruit bowl.
So.....the majority of you told me to keep my Jasperware lamp that I painted (here).
So the hunt for another cool lamp was on.
I found this pretty lamp at my Salvation Macy's.
The glass ball is what attracted me to her, but the dark finish has to go.
Be sure to come back and see her transformation.
What...you thought I was going to show you now?
;->
Until next time...be kind and stay creative.


18 comments:

Lori @ Katies Rose Cottage Designs said...

Janet ~
Those came out so fun! Oh my goodness I love your lamp that you did too a couple posts ago ~ It is so pretty!!

xoxo
Lori

Kim @ Everything Etsy said...

Soooo much better...I love them! They'll look great in your shop.

~Kim

Gretel said...

What a transformation! I have to admit to a sneaking and long held ambition to own a string of fake plastic onions, complete with raffia, but the pears are hugely improved!

Anonymous said...

cute. fruit. What a unique and original idea! Much better than the 1950's look that's for sure.

Di

Kathleen Grace said...

Yes I thought you were going to show me now! I scrolled down all eager like and you're just teasing. Lol, ok, I'll be patient, but I know it's going to look so pretty:>)
Love what you did with the fruit. Fun and fresh!

w said...

so glad you didn't use the pears for what i thought you'd use the pear for *coughstuffingyourbracough*.

they are awesome! why have i never thought to paint fake fruit? you're a genius!

Mac n' Janet said...

I'm with you on fake fruit, but you've made yours look so soft and beautiful I may have to change my mind. Salvation Macy's! LOL

Reena said...

the pears are gorgeous! How creative!

Kathryn Griffin said...

Now those are some fake fruit I could go for! Love them! Great job...how's the Fox Den going? Kathryn http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/

Jennifer Juniper said...

How exciting that chalk paint sticks to plastic! Hmmmm....wheels turning...

Barbara Pilcher said...

I AM a fan of faux fruit, because I think the good ones look convincing, especially in staged homes for sale, and especially lemons, limes and oranges.

But I love the way you took a 50's icon and gave them a fun face.

Aprons and More said...

Perfect solution...AGAIN!!! Love what you have done!

Katy :)

Claire said...

Yes Janet, I did expect to see the transformation NOW.....hehe......

Another great lamp, I know it's going to look wonderful, once you have given it a lick of paint.

Love the fruit, who would've thought?

Hurry back soon with the 'redo', pleeeeeease.

Claire :}

Little Blue Mouse said...

Love what you've done with the fruit, can't wait to see the lamp transformation.

joanne said...

I am not a faux fan but these turned out gorgeous...oh my, I must get some AS chalk paint. Everything it touches turns lovely!

Leigh Powell Hines said...

Janet, that's great! Amazing things you do. Thanks for entering my giveaway. I'm really behind on my commenting. I have both kids all day. Leigh

Gloria Fox said...

I love it! I need to get some Scandinavian Pink!

Andrea said...

Oh my, I usually don't like plastic fruit ( not tasty either:0) but these are sooooo yummy gorgeous!!!! I love the colours your picked as well!!

And thanks for visiting my blog too! The tip you gave me about filling the jar is perfect!!! smart girl!!!

have a great day!
xo
Andrea