Monday, July 4, 2011

You Are All Invited To My Fox Den Grand Opening!

Hello friends...I feel as though I have been missing in action lately. 
I have been super busy since securing a spot at The Fox Den Antiques Mall. I had a lot of work to do in getting my space Empty Nest worthy.
Remember, I showed you how it looked when I first saw it.
Well here she is now...
Out with the Tuscan walls and in with the lights and brights!
I painted the back wall a pale blue/grey.
I hung a king sized white sheet on one wall and a smaller sheet on the opposite wall.
I laid a synthetic canvas material on the floor and secured it with white duck tape.
I would love to eventually paint it or at least stencil some stars.
Another job for another day...
OK....ready for a tour?
I needed a piece of furniture that I could keep in my booth to display my small items.
The nice ladies at The Fox Den sold me this vanity table for a song.
It needed a lot of work...
It had flannel fabric stapled to the top and these funky and very sharp (metal) swing out arms screwed onto the front.
What seemed like miles of old velcro and staples had to be removed.
So sorry for not having photos of the true B4 vanity.
I also scrubbed with hot soap, bleach and water, years of bug residue...yuck!
However, once stripped down to her undies...she was beautiful!
A couple of coats of Paris Grey chalk paint on her base and Provence on the draw fronts.
Some distressing and few coats of wax with lots of buffing (more Popeye muscles!)
Every gal needs a little jewelry...pretty glass knobs and she is ready to meet her public!
I really love how she turned out.
I can almost see her smiling
;->
Mr. Secret Agent has this very old wooden ladder and I convinced him to let me have it.
I slip-slapped some robins egg blue (remember the Valspar paint giveaway?)
LOVE!!!!
The smaller ladder secured across the top is one I have had for a while.
It used to lean against a kitchen wall and I would hang my magazines on it.
Now it makes a great clothes rack for my vintage wool felted sweaters and my couture aprons.
While I was in New York last weekend, I hit a few yard sales and found this huge and very old, dark wooden picture frame.
Now it is a gorgeous chalk board.
I painted it A.S. Old White and waxed with clear and dark wax.
Cut a piece of MDF which I painted with black chalkboard paint.
Now it is a wonderful and functional home decor item.
Remember my French tiered table?
The apron with my shop name was painted by me.
I thought this idea would be prettier than a paper sign.
sorry for the yellow tinge..flourescent ceiling lights
I finally get to show off and hopefully sell, my collection of tea cups..porcelain..linens and such.
Time to share them with the world.
My pair of cut crystal lamps really brighten up my space.
Still lovin my vanity!!
This piece is a very old sewing machine table.
The top is removable and the doors swing open for your knees while sewing.
When I found it, it was a putrid green and slightly taller.
I removed the bottom feet, cut the side panels down a few inches and reattached the feet.
She is now the perfect height for a tea table or end table.
Again..A.S. chalk paint in Louis Blue with Old White trim.
My brother Rick lives in a very old , but lovely cottage in New York.
When he recently renovated his kitchen, he saved the old wooden windows for me (thanks Rick).
They are a pretty creamy white (no lead) and the working latches are a gorgeous aqua blue.
I guess they were into shabby chic 100 years ago also, sorry Ms Ashwell, you weren't the first.
I used dozens of beautiful and delicate antique hankies and cut linens to create unique bunting.
I love them draped on these old windows...so much that I attached some permanently as part of the window decor.
How great would these be in a kitchen or sitting on a mantel? 
Collecting NIPPON china has been a love of mine for over 30 years...I have many pieces.
These cups are so delicate, you can see through them...gorgeous!
Stunning large hand painted Rosenthal bowl.
My little porcelain planter makes a perfect business card holder.
I had fun creating my tags for my items.
It's hard to see, but I even painted little wooden clothespins with chalk paint and use them to secure my bunting to the fabric.
Pretty little touches count.
Sorry no before photo, but this sweet bookcase table was in need of some TLC.
She now is very happy wearing A.S. Old White and Duck Egg Blue edges.
She didn't even complain when I distressed her.
A very pretty accent piece now.
I love what a little paint can do to a tired piece of furniture. 
So that's my shop at  Fox Den Antique & Collectibles. 
I will be adding many more items very soon.
Be sure to check the blog for new additions to my shop.
If you are ever near Warrenton, Virginia, be sure to stop by and visit The Empty Nest and the many other fabulous vendors.
The Empty Nest is officially OPEN FOR BUSINESS!!
*
DREAM INDEED! 
Update:
Before I even finished setting up my space, I sold one of my vintage pedestal cake plates to a lovely lady!
I'll take that as a good sign.
Until next time...be kind and stay creative.

27 comments:

Mandy Jean said...

So cute!! Great job!

P.S. my hubby is law enforcement :)

butiksofie said...

The table looks really gorgeous! You are very creative, hughs Anja

w said...

I CAN'T STAND IT! ---> IT LOOKS AMAZING! congrats on the spot! you're gonna do great!

Little Blue Mouse said...

What a transformation and well done on your first sale!,

The LadyBugs Garden said...

I love your little shop Janet! Well if you painted Bill's ladder. Tell him he's next....
You did a great job...
xo
Stephanie

Leslie said...

Congratulations on your booth! It looks beautiful. I wish you every success & tons of fun w/your space. :-)

Rhonda @ The Yellow Brick Road said...

Wow...looks fabulous! I am looking for booth space this week! I hope I am in business soon......

Annette said...

Janet it's just beautiful and all your projects are too! I just adore the bunting! I truly wish you success with this new venture!

Atelier Conti said...

Wow Janet! What a fantastic space you've created! This is a whole new level for the Empty Nest. It's very exciting indeed...I only wish Warrenton were a tiny bit closer to me. Some of those items are truly irresistible.

Caroline Lovis (Redneedle) said...

Everything looks great best of luck for your new venture

Gretel said...

I hope you can hear the very proud clapping and cheering from this side of the Atlantic! How I wish I could catch a bus to Warrenton and pop in to see you - it all looks beautiful, about time you spread your wings and showed your skills off to the world!

Claire said...

Ah Janet, it looks fabulous.........

All your pieces look wonderful in your booth, nice and light and everything is displayed clearly...........

Love the chalkboard redo and the bunting of course.

Well done on your first sale, it's all very exciting.

What's next? Hmm, there's a book in this somewhere, I'm sure.

Claire :}

Jennifer Juniper said...

Oh. My. Gosh. I want to move in there!

Michele said...

wow, super awesome bright fun space! It captured my eye right away and held it! I'm sure your space with attract lots of $$$

Sue said...

All of your painted pieces turned out beautifully, Janet, and your booth is well on its way! Your china pieces are so pretty- if I was collecting, I would probably be reluctant to do so. I've yet to try my chalk paint- found it locally a few weeks ago, but haven't had the time to start a project. From what I've seen, everyone has had great success! Thanks for visiting today. :-) Sue

Anonymous said...

Just LOVELY! Best wishes on your opening! MaryCinVA

Kathryn Griffin said...

It looks wonderful!!! Hope you sell out fast!

Kelly Ann said...

The space looks awesome...way to go....
Xoxo

Tweed Thoughts said...

Aw, I'm so excited for you Janet! I wish I could visit your lovely booth - it looks FANTASTIC! All the best with this new venture, it makes for great reading!!!
Alison x

deb said...

Beautiful..just beautiful!! Congrats on your new venture. Wishing you many many sales!
*hugs*deb

Anonymous said...

Cozy booth. Love it. Wish you the best on your new venture. Judging from the booths' contents, it's going to be a huge success!
~Monique

Anonymous said...

Janet, your booth looks great! I can't wait until I can take a little day trip to Warrenton to check it out in person. Gonna invite my thrifting buddy to come along with me.

Congratulations and best wishes for a super successful business!

Anonymous said...

It is wonderful, Janet!! That is a remarkable transformation and so creative. I love it!

Miss Mustard Seed

Kathleen Grace said...

I can't believe how quickly you got everything whipped into shape Janet! It looks beautiful, love that picture frame and all the cute goodies. Best of luck in your new venture:>) I can't wait to hear how it turns out for you!

Anonymous said...

Hi - LOVE your stuff! I'm curious about the clear wax that you put on the painted furniture - what kind is it? Thanks & Keep up the good work! :-)

Leigh Powell Hines said...

You are going to do so well. Congrats!

Leigh Powell Hines said...

PS. Your lamps look fabulous in your other posts. Great job!