Sunday, February 5, 2012

~You will either love it or hate it~

Hello friends..welcome back.
I would like to send out a big 
Hello!
to all my new readers.
I hope you enjoy my 
blog and continue to visit.
Ok...ready for another furniture restyle?

Here is my little buffet before.
I bought her at the Big DC Flea last month.
She had some broken pieces so the guy gave me a pretty good deal on her.
I love these small cupboard buffets 
because almost everyone has room for them in their homes.
They 'tuck' in quite nicely.

I mixed some ASCP Olive + Antibes Green + a tiny bit of Old White
and gave her two coats.
Hardware and all.
Now here is where I might lose you.....
*
*

I learned a lovely clouded stipple painting effect from Patty of Classic Wall Finishes.
Patty was my ASCP trainer when I became a stockist.
You first heard about Patty and her sister Karen
when Miss Mustard Seed revealed her
to be ASCP
I love the color combo of 
blue & green
and I wanted to do something slightly different.


So what do your think??
Love it or hate it?

This buffet had very pretty carved details
 that were completely hidden by the dark wood stain.
I think the Aubusson Blue really makes them pop.

Olive & Antibes make a gorgeous new green.
A nice rich earthy hue.

Here is a close up of the clouded stipple effect.
I hope I made my teacher proud.
For the stippled effect,
I tripple loaded an old scruffy artist paint brush 
(save old artist brushes for this)
with Aubusson-Old Ochre and Paloma.
Then in a hap-hazzard manner began to 
pounce repeatedly, taking care to keep the brush rotating.
My goal was to create a soft blending of the three colors.

I love how I can create a age worn layered paint look with Annie's paints.
Great texture.

I painted the back piece with Aubusson and clear and dark waxed it.
Can you see my repair job...I hope not!

The only part I am still unsure of is the top..
I chose to leave the top stained.
My thinking is that this is a buffet and most likely will get a lot of use.
Plus I love the look of stained tops with painted bodies.
What are your thoughts??

I really love the blue detailing and when I distressed the piece,
the detailing got even prettier.

Please feel free to cast your Yay or Nay vote in the comment
section below
;->

Don't forget, you still have a couple of days to enter my 
Fashionable Fabrics
Giveaway!
Click on the Fashionable Fabric button 
at the top left of this page.

I will be sharing my buffet with some cool blogs this week:

                                                                 

45 comments:

Angie @ thejunkranch said...

It turned out great. You know I love textured painting techniques...really looks as though it evolved through time. Just Beautiful!

Carol Carrasco said...

Love the mix of colors and the stained top. Not sure I like the stipple effect...it reminds me too much of sponge painting.

Anonymous said...

YAY YAY YAY. If you lived here I may just buy it!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

I love it and have kind of been doing a finish like that and it just came from my head. No training or anything.

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

Honey just when I thought you could not do anything better than your last piece you come up with this piece. OMG this is gorgeous. I love love it.
Wish I had this in my home.
Have missed you and need to catch up with you while I am here.
Hope you have a great week
Love
Maggie

Suzanne said...

Wow. You are good! I love the mix of colors and the way you've distressed this piece. I have tried A.S. a couple of times, but I still don't know what I'm doing.

Suzanne said...

P.S. I am now a follower.

Wanda..... said...

It's BEAUTIFUL! You have me wanting to change every piece of furniture in my house, Janet!!!

Laurie said...

love :) I really do like the colors -- will this be living up at the Fox Den? Laurie

Lady Courtney said...

I think it is BEAUTIFUL!!! I love that color!!! Love that piece!!!

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

Love love love it! And I love the stained top too...beautiful~

Lou Cinda

Sue at Serendipity said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!!

And the stipple effect is fascinating-can't wait to try it.

Katie @ Wildwood Creek said...

Beautiful! I love the combo of blue and green, and the stained top looks so rich.

Carol D. said...

You have quite the vision for these furniture pieces. Just to hear a description, I would never realize how great these turn out.

Atelier Conti said...

I'm in the love it camp! How about coming to France and giving a course over here :^>. You make it look so easy.

Susan Nelson said...

That is gorgeous! I wish I had room in my house to start learning to do this!But for now I will just live vicariously through your blogs!

Laura in IA said...

Love how it shows off the lines of the piece. Wish there was more blue in the stipple effect.

Jennifer Juniper said...

I love it - the colors are unusual and I love the "clouds" on the doors!

Tweed Thoughts said...

Very 'painterly' and artistic - I'd have it! :D

Kelly Ann said...

lovely....
xoxo
KA

lynnette said...

In love. This has given me inspiration to purchase a piece I saw yesterday...now I can visualize an end result.

Connie in Hartwood said...

Score me firmly in the "Love It" camp. You have outdone yourself with this one, Janet dear. Such a fantastic combination of colors! Since I was with you when you bought this piece, I know where the repairs are ... and no one would EVER know that this piece needed any love. Wow!!

Heidi S. said...

I love the green...so pretty with the blue pops of color. I'm on the fence with the stipple technique...like with another commenter, it kind of reminds me of sponge painting, however, in person I'm sure its beautiful. I also love the stained top...you do amazing work!

Michelle (She Looketh Well) said...

I LOVE the color and the green and blue together. I will definitely do this combo. I don't think i care for the 'clouds' I agree that it looks like sponge painting, but perhaps i just have issues with that, as in our old house we had several sponge painted walls! I still have nightmares. LOL

I think, if the color were blended a little more. When i do it, it seems more blended, not definite 'sponge' look. Though i am not an expert ;-)

I adore Patty, she has helped me immensely. I do think she would be proud. Your blog is one of my favs and whenever i see a new post i get very excited. Thanks for sharing, you do beautiful work!!

Aprons and More said...

♥ it!!

Katy :)

Tonya said...

Ooo, I just LOVE this!!! I would never have thought of having the blue with the green, but it's really nice!! I have antibes green, and like the idea of mixing it with Olive...now I want to get some!! I'm a new follower...your stuff is so nice!!

Unknown said...

Love this! Found you through the Hope Studio link party. New follower! http://www.eccentricleopard.com

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

HI, Janet, that is really pretty! I'm enjoying getting my hands on ASCP finally too & love how it works. Can't wait to get into the wax and figure it all out. You are really doing some great things with your paint & wax. See you soon!

Kathleen Grace said...

Love it! The buffet itself is adorable, and you did a great job replacing the missing detail. This is a wonderful second life for a really cute buffet:>)

Anonymous said...

I love it! You are blazing your trail! Extremely creative paint job! Love the details of the piece and your paint treatment made it even more interesting. Most everyone is going white these days. It's nice to see some color!

Love your blog, I'll be back to follow along.

Sandy

Colleen said...

I love, love, love it!!! You picked my two fav colors and have totally inspired me for my buffet! Thanks a ton!!! Great job!

Jan said...

Love it. I went and bought some ascp after finding your blog a few weeks ago. You are very inspiring!

the treat girl said...

Yay! And I love that you left the top stained too :)

Stephanie@New Again said...

I think it looks great! Beautiful job. :)

Claire said...

hey Janet, I love the colours you used on this little buffet....they look great.

Nice detail on it too.....you always keep pulling surprises out of the box Janet.

I'm with Carol on the stipple effect on the doors, but I know someone will snap it up and give it a lovely new home.

Claire x

Anonymous said...

I love the blue and green combo! Awesome! I don't like the stippling in the center though. I think it would be better the same color just solid... Great job! - Susan

T. Emrich said...

Love it...really love it, not sure I would be that brave, but I'm working on that part of my personality! You did a great job :)

Between Blue and Yellow said...

That looks very cool, a very original piece. Great job!

Amber and Brad said...

Love the colors, thanks for linking

RedeFIND said...

I love the colors together, very unique piece, it would be the stand out in the room!

Unknown said...

love the finish and the color is so unique. great look to a nice piece, id love to feature it, if that would be ok with you please let me know, lauren

Sue said...

That is gorgeous stippling technique, Janet! Great color choices and I like the contrast of the stained top.
:-) Sue

Sheila said...

Oh my goodness, I love love this piece you did. I too love blue and green together and I think your mix of the two is perfect. I also love the stained top, a perfect contrast to the paints.

I'm just getting started with ASCP and am very thankful for blogs like yours, keep up the great work--I'm learning so much my head is spinning.

Sheila said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
House Crazy in Michigan! said...

LOVE IT!! Love the stippling, so original. Also love the Antibes green and the stained top.

Small House / Big Sky Donna
White Oak Design Studio
Hand-Painted Vintage Furniture Transformations
Blog: http://smallhouseunderabigsky.wordpress.com
Facebook: donna.allgaierlamberti@facebook.com