Sunday, July 8, 2012

~ Miss Mustard Seed Milk Paint ~

Hello friends...thanks so much for visiting today. 
My post today is a tale of lost innocence...of Milk Paint, that is.
You see , I have never painted with Milk Paint before...
EVER!!


I decided that if The Empty Nest was going to carry
Miss Mustard Seed's
new line of Milk Paint colors, then I should become the best spokesperson possible.

Here is the dresser I chose.
Very well made and with beautiful lines.
However the orangey wood has to go.

Not being a shrinking violet, I chose
Tricycle
a spunky cool red.

Well what do you know....
Marian was right, it does just flake off in spots.
I did not use the bonding agent.
Yeah, I live life on the edge!


After two coats of Milk Paint
some sanding with a sanding sponge
a coat of Miss Mustard Seed's wax
She has a whole new sassy attitude.

So what do you think?
I am really pleased with the results..
  I know you are dying to hear my take on Milk Paint.
Amuse me folks..
"Yes Janet...we are dying to hear you opinion!"
Ok...here you go..
1. I will admit the mixing part will take a little bit of getting used to, but it was not rocket science and only took a few minutes.
2. For those wondering how it differs from my beloved Chalk Paint™ decorative paints.
The minute I applied the first brush stroke, I new this was a whole different ballgame.
3. Milk Paint smells different..feels different..reacts to surfaces differently, distresses different....it is simply
DIFFERENT
I in no way mean that in a negative manner...it's just apples & oranges
4. Two coats covered nicely and I used very little powder. You will get multiple projects per back..easily.
5. I mixed the Miss Mustard Seed's Milk Paint powder with warm water to make a smoother paint.
6. It dried pretty quickly.
7. I was able to get a super smooth feel after sanding..nice.
8. Love how the paint will literally flake off in spots..instant age.
9. Miss Mustard Seed's wax was super easy to apply with a soft cloth and has a nice sheen
 (Mr. Secret Agent is beginning to wonder where all his t-shirts are)
10. I buffed 30 minutes later
11. I'm happy

I think Miss Mustard Seed's Milk Paint is a great option for those of you who love the look of 
American Primitive and Folk Art.
I found it more earthy and organic (what the heck does that even mean??).
Marian's colors are beautiful and I found the paint easy to work with.

Almost forgot to add...
no prepping was done to my dresser other than a good cleaning.
So there you have it,
I am a Milk Paint virgin no more.
Have you ever used Milk Paint???
I am looking forward to offering Marian's paint to all my
 The Empty Nest 
customers as another option for their home decorating needs.
Check out Marian's new video series for more information.
Hopefully I will have Miss Mustard Seed's Milk Paint on the shelves by August.
Speaking of shelves....
I have less than two weeks till Opening Day!!!!!

Until next time...be kind and stay creative.
                                                                 

20 comments:

Gretel said...

Oh oh, is that a sneaky peek of the new shop I spy in the background to that magnificent red lady?

Lady Courtney said...

I agree with Gretel, I loved the sneak peek!!! I was looking hard...I am very curious about the milk paint, will need to see in person, still love my chalk paint...just saying! The dresser turned out great, but then you painted it, of course that was going to happen! ;) donna

Connie in Hartwood said...

Hey, I recognize that dresser!! I love the color you chose for it. I see a new fascination with milk paint in my future.

Anonymous said...

I wish when I went into shops I met owners like you, who are familiar with their products. It makes such a difference to the customer.
I love the colour you chose, it looks lovely.

Kelly Ann said...

Red...I do love the red...
xoxo
KA

Amy Chalmers said...

Oh I loved reading this and seeing the dresser Janet! It came out awesome!! I can't wait to try my paint starter kit too!! I am so happy to be having both Milk Paint and Chalk Paint in my store for my customers~its going to be a fun paint to use I can tell!!

Unknown said...

The dresser turned out great ! Love that color ! I can't wait to try it !

juliawithag@gmail.com said...

Hallooo Empty Nest,

I have questions, as I have used milk paint, and was instructed to use it differently. I was taught to sand the piece and add a bonding agent to the mix. So my questions are: 1) how durable is your (beautiful) piece? I mean, can you scratch it off? Does waxing provide the protection, do you think? 2) Why does one use a bonding agent, if you're going to have to distress it anyway?! (LOL, you may not know that one! Can you tell that I'm miffed?!) Thank you for your hard work and helpful comments.

Marian said...

Thanks so much for the review. I was wondering how Marian's milk paint compaired to chalk paint. And I am so excited to come see your store sometime!

Erin said...

Oooh, I'm very intrigued by this paint and its ability to flake and give furniture the look of being much older than it is, Janet. After reading about your experience and watching Marian's videos, I'm looking forward to its release in August. Marian's really created some fantastic colors, too--love that Tricycle on your dresser so much!

NanaDiana said...

I haven't used the NEW milk paint but I used a lot of it back in the late 60's. Some old stuff my mother had. It really does give a rustic look to furniture...and if you put it on raw wood it is completely different and you can never take it off...or strip it. Glad you are having fun with it. Your dresser looks great- xo Diana

Anonymous said...

I haven't tried it yet! I am curious!

Good luck with the opening dear Jannet! xox

Leigh Powell Hines said...

Looks lovely.

Stiltskin Studios said...

We've used milk paint for many years, and it's a fantastic option. Different that ASCP, for sure. "organic" is a great way to describe it...I feel like a chemist tinkering with the powder! We've used it with and without the bonding agent. Have fun playing with the product!

Barbara Bussey {The Treasured Home} said...

How beautiful it turned out! I'm going to be a MMSMP retailer too and my sample box just arrived today! gonna get busy! Cheers and congrat's on your new shop!!

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to get our samples as well! Best of luck at your opening, Janet! We will be there in spirit-- Susan and Connie (Simpler Times Designs)--Colorado

Libby said...

So, how did I get over here at your blog? hmmm. I think it was Erin at Carolina Country LIving: we are friends!
Anyway, love your blog, the info., the stories, and the way you write. Fabulous and very entertaining! I tried ASCP for the first time recently (I'm not a big DIYer...) and love it. So now, you are making me think I must try milk paint.
Where is Warrenton? I'm in Chapel Hill, NC: maybe a trip to you in the near future!

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

I'm so lookng forward to trying this new paint...love how it just falls off...how cool is that?

Blessings,
Linda

Anonymous said...

Heya i am for the first time here. I found this
board and I find It really useful & it helped me out much. I hope to give something back and help others like you
aided me.
Also visit my blog ways to lose weight

Anonymous said...

Ӏ rarely dгop cоmments, however i did a
few seаrching and wounԁ up heгe "~ Miss Mustard Seed Milk Paint ~".

And I actually do have a few questions for you if you don't mind. Is it just me or does it appear like some of these remarks appear like written by brain dead individuals? :-P And, if you are writing on additional places, I'ԁ like to folloω аnything new yοu hаve to post.
Cοuld you maκe a lіst оf every one of your community
sites liκe your twitteг feed, Faсеbook
ρаge оr linκeԁin profile?

my weblog legal ecstasy party Pills