Sunday, July 31, 2011

Rumors of My Death Have Been Greatly Exaggerated...I Think

Yes, I am still alive. Although if you had asked me a week ago, I would have had to ponder that question.
It's strange.....When I cared for my sweet sister Mary Sue, I was the picture of health the whole 1 1/2 years I was with her. I guess the Lord knew she needed a healthy caregiver. 
The day after Mary passed, I awoke with the worst sore throat and headache that put me in bed for a few days, while my sister Joanne cared for me.
Fast forward to this July and I am caring for my lovely Mom, who had Vulvar cancer surgery.
Again...I'm healthy as can be.
On the drive back home to Virginia, I feel a little tickle in my throat.
Well that little tickle matured into a nasty Bronchial mess!
I have been so out of it..I have no memory of Thursday or Friday.
I think I slept through them.
My last memory is checking out a couple of thrift shops Wednesday morning.
Yeah, I know, I'm  sick in more ways than one.
At this point I know I should be home in bed....but it's WEDNESDAY and everything is 25% off!
I found this sweet side table just begging to be restyled.
I love the carved detail.
This lovely little side chair will get a pretty new seat and a fresh coat of paint.
A little chalk paint and wax should bring out the details nicely.
How doesn't appreciate a curvy leg?
I found a few very nice lamps to restyle also.
Really love this floor lamp and I think a coat of Old White and some distressing to let the dark base show through will be great.

But here is my favorite treasure to date!
This is a reproduction of a Christian Shively china cabinet from the early 1800's.
The Pulaski Furniture Company introduced a line of furniture based on pieces presented on the PBS show, Antiques Roadshow.

This is  photo of an original Christian Shively cabinet from the early 1800's.
Lovely drawer pulls.
I was drawn to the great detail work featured throughout the piece.
Great shelved storage space in the cabinets below.
The drawers are lined in black velvet.
Everywhere you look there are beautiful details to admire.
This is a very heavy piece and really well made.
When  these were introduced back in 2003, they were advertised at a cost of $2,000 to $3,000.
Want to know what I paid????
Awwwww, come on, you know you want to know!
$142.00!!!!!
Once again I will sing from from my rooftop....
I ADORE THRIFT SHOPS!

Until next time (I hope to be among the living soon)...be kind and stay creative.

On a side note:
When people asked about my Mom and her surgery, I found myself amazed at the number of folks who had no idea what or where a vulva was. Even women gave me a puzzled look.
My sisters and I decided to just tell folks Nana was having her Volvo serviced...that they all understood.
Go figure! 

                                                                   Sharing here this week!



19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Volvo serviced... HA.. love that one. And what a deal for $142. That pretty much is the deal of the year I'd say. Congrats on snagging it for your home!

Laurie said...

Love the china cabinet! It's a real beauty.
I am truly amazed that people wouldn't know what a vulva is......yikes. Maybe it's because I'm a nurse??? The way I look at it it's just another one of our body parts. There was a time that breast cancer wasn't discussed. Go figure.

Anonymous said...

So glad you are on the mend.

I am crazy about that hutch you found! Oh my gosh! I haven't seen anything that fabulous at the thrifts I've been stalking, I mean, visiting. And are you kidding, $142? Get out of town! Superb buy!

Can't wait to see the side table and chair transformations.

Kelly Ann said...

I went to your Salvation Macy's and didn't see anything quit like what you have...ugh...
Glad you are amoung the living..
xoxo
KA

ArtAfterDark said...

This all sounds so familiar....the caregiving and the thrift store addiction. I held it together for several years while caring for my parents and promptly fell apart, mentally and physically, soon after their passing. It seems God truly does not give us more than we can handle and often gives us the strength to stumble thru it. So sorry for your losses, health issues, etc., but you are so fortunate to have a sister who is there for you! Love your "finds" and hope to see the finished results! Take care!

Restore and Renew said...

Your sore throat is the aftermath of stress. I get cold sores AFTER the stress has been removed.

I need to find some new thrift shops!!
I am a new follower.

Bits of Fiber said...

Take care of yourself Janet! Hope you feel better soon. :0)

SheilaG @ Plum Doodles said...

Can't wait to see what you do with all these treasures. I hope you are refreshed and restored very soon!

Leigh Powell Hines said...

Janet, I don't mean to laugh at something as serious as vulvar cancer, but your joke is hysterical.

I hope you feel better. You amaze me with your finds and redos. So talented.

My meal-planning link is up. Share a recipe or some tips. It will be open until 8/15.

Get well soon.

Rhonda @ The Yellow Brick Road said...

Glad you are feeling abit better! That screamin' deal on that cabinet would have cured me! I.AM.SO.JEALOUS! Love it!

Claire said...

Glad to red your bargain radar is in tip top condition even if you are a little under the weather Janet.........

That cabinet is a stunner and the price. 25% off Wednesdays must suggest that to my local Op shops, hehehe........

Look forward to seeing the makeovers, you'll work wonders with them as usual.

Take care of yourself Janet, don't go overdoing things missy.........

Claire X

Jennifer Juniper said...

That cabinet is to die for...and yes, you are crazy!

Whenever I think of the word vulva (which isn't often!) I always think of that Seinfeld episode! I think getting the Volvo serviced is a perfectly acceptable substitution :) Poor mom, I hope she is feeling better.

Erin said...

Hope you get to feeling better very soon, Janet!

Despite not feeling well, your sense of humor is very much intact and I howled over "Nana's Volvo." I'll have to remember this because we call my mom Nana and she really does drive a Volvo...I <3 double entendres!

Great finds at the thrift store and what. a. deal. on that gorgeous cupboard. Wow! Are you going to leave it as-is or hit it up with some paint?

Itchin' Stitchin' said...

WOW what a steal!!!
Hope your mom's recovery is speedy and you feel better. It will be even better when people ask your mom about her Volvo lol

The LadyBugs Garden said...

I am so glad you are feeling better. Love the new finds also. It is amazing how women don't know their body parts names?? Tell Nanna I am sending prayers for a speedy recovery ...well for both of you lol.
Sephanie

Maddie Kertay- The Domestic Anarchist said...

So glad your sweet mama is doing well... nothing worse than an out of order "Volvo" { I mean really.. amazing how many people do not know the names of all of their body parts but know the whole cast of Glee by name!}

Maddie, owner of a Vulva and a Volvo, 2x blessed I guess!

Reena said...

Janet, glad you are better. Had to laugh at the volvo comment! I also had vulvar cancer surgery 18 months ago. It seems to be one of the cancers that few women want to talk about. Glad you put it out there!

Janet said...

Wow on two fronts...love the cabinet, such a deal and it is so hard to believe that many women don't know their body parts...perhaps it is because on the old "hairy palms" we were always told about as young people in the 50s. Now I am going to go and google the cancer and make myself aware of it.

Kathleen Grace said...

I Hope you take the time to get better before you jump on redoing these projects. I know that is hard for you too:>) Love that hutch and I hope you feel better soon!