Monday, January 23, 2012

~Harlequin Romance Dresser~

Hello friends.....I'm so glad you continue to visit. 
I have come to depend on my lovely internet readers to keep a smile on my face.       
So in my last post  I mentioned how anxious I was
 to share my most recent Annie Sloan chalk paint piece.
~Harlequin Romance~

Ever notice they always describe the heroine's breasts as sensually 'tumbling' out of her bodice...how exactly do breast 'tumble'?
No ..No..No...
not THAT 
Harlequin Romance


This harlequin...the pattern!
The diamond shape of the harlequin design has been around for centuries.
It continues to be a very popular design for 
fashion, furniture and many more home decor features.
Browsing some historical 
photos, I was inspired to create some 
harlequin love of my own.

I started with a dresser that I purchased from Kathy Shumate of Shumate Auctions.
Kathy said this dresser was left over from a recent auction she had hosted.
She offered me a deal I could not say no to.
Home she came.
I started with a base coat of a mix of ASCP Louis Blue/Duck Egg/Old White.
Trimmed it out with Hennrietta and Chateau Grey.
The diamonds are Old White.

why does my hand look  so big????
I used clear wax and dark wax and I was really loving the new smaller Waxine waxing brush.
I wasn't sure if I was going to like it or if the coverage would be easy to get, but this brush was very easy to hold and my hand was much less fatigued when I finished.
I'm a believer.

This photo shows dark wax on the top half and I am working my way down.
When dark waxing large flat surfaces, 
don't try to do the whole thing in one swipe.
Break it down into smaller sections and remember
ALWAYS 
Clear before Dark!!

One of the reasons I love using these wax brushes instead of a rag
is because I can really get the wax 
INTO 
the chalk paint.
Not on top, but INTO.
The photo above shows the way the wax slightly changes the paint as it is absorbed.
See the difference...looks like grease spots.
That's how I know I have rubbed the wax in really well.

I added the Chateau Grey trim, Henrietta trim and handpainted Venetian gold dots.
So are you ready to meet her?


'Harlequin Romance'

The top drawer had four..yes four pulls.
That's two too many in my opinion.
I solved the problem by threading
some green harlequin fabric I had through
the holes of the top pulls and tying a simple bow.
I think it adds a bit of whimsy.

The screw holes on the original batwing pulls were spaced extra close.
The only pulls I could find that fit were silver ones from Home Depot.
Problem was...I did not want silver.
Annie Sloan chalk paint to the rescue.
This paint adheres to just about anything.
I painted them Old white and distressed them a little
PERFECT!
The whole dresser was then distressed.

I painted the bottom apron in Chateau Grey, which is really a very nice greenish hue.
When I distressed, I intentionally took much of it off to expose some of the base blue beneath.


The touch of Henrietta on the top trim is a nice added surprise of color.
I seriously have not met a ASCP color I have not liked so far.
Just look at that gorgeous wax sheen...I love this wax.

I wanted this piece to look aged and worn
and the dark wax did that for me.
I put two coats of wax on the top for durability.

I stenciled little Venetian gold florets on the top of the dresser.
Just a few, here and there.

I even dug up a tea cup with a diamond design.
Aren't you proud of my attempt at staging???

I hope you enjoyed my presentation of 
'Harlequin Romance'

Now go read a trashy novel
;->

Until next time...be kind and stay creative.

Before I go, I have to tell you something funny (and strange).
My new blog friend Connie of Hartwood Roses blog and I were chatting about the projects we were working on...no details, just that we were both painting a dresser.
You won't believe what she came up with.
You have to go take a look...way too strange..but good!

I'll be sharing with these fine blogs this week:
                              
                                                                

34 comments:

Katie @ Wildwood Creek said...

Love the color and fun design! I have a question about the dark wax. I know you should apply the clear wax, then the dark wax. Do you let this dry and then buff? Or do you buff immediately? I'm never sure if I should let the dark wax dry before buffing. Thanks!

K @ Aurora Blythe said...

Love how this dresser turned out. All that hard work paid off for sure!

Kristy said...

That is absolutely gorgeous! You certainly have a gift!

Janet Metzger, Artist said...

Thanks for your sweet comment Katie. After I add clear wax, I come back with the dark..apply and immediately wipe off as needed. I do let both the waxes dry before buffing. To be honest...with this dresser, it was ready to buff within a few minutes..I was amazed! The key is to not over wax..always wipe any extra residue off and it will dry much faster. Have fun.

~Janet

Janet Metzger, Artist said...

You are too kind Kristy...thank you!

Tara @ Tales of a Trophy Wife said...

Gorgeous! I'm sure there's some joke about it being a "flat-chest-of drawers" or something.

Katie @ Wildwood Creek said...

Thanks, Janet!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful and fanciful job you did on this dresser, Janet. Such a great imagination you have. Okay... going to go see Connie now. LOL

Lady Courtney said...

WOW!!!! I've been waiting to see it, and it did not disappoint!!! I love the bows! Well done! donna :)

Janet Metzger, Artist said...

Ha!

Janet Metzger, Artist said...

Thanks Di!

Janet Metzger, Artist said...

Thank you Donna!

Unknown said...

The dresser is so cute! I love it! I had some harlequin fun myself this past weekend! Would love for you to check it out...a harlequin nursery
http://iknowtheplansihave4you.blogspot.com/2012/01/room-for-princess.html

Jill@ iknowtheplansihave4you.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! I'd seen Connie's post, and was beginning to wonder if the Harlequin pattern was the latest trend.

Atelier Conti said...

Looks like you're having such a good time this winter! Bravo on another adorable piece of furniture.

Wanda..... said...

Beautiful, Janet...you are having way too much fun with that Annie Sloan chalk paint and wax!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Janet, I love this. What a fun design. I have not heard of the smaller brush. I must get one.

Lilly said...

charming, simply breathtaking

Sherry from Alabama said...

The chest turned out beautiful and the tea cup is the perfect finishing touch!

Unknown said...

Gorgeous! and the chest turned out great, too. LOL

Anonymous said...

I love the ribbons as pulls. So cute! RP

Jennifer Juniper said...

The fabric pulls are the perfect finishing touch - I was a little afraid that I was going to see a dresser with boobs painted on it or something! :)

Janet said...

Not tumbling....flopping or maybe flapping :)

Beautiful job on the dresser janet!n

Kathy A said...

I also loved the fabric pulls, very unique and unexpected! A great element of surprise! I'm a recent follower and was wondering what type of wax you use. Also where is the chalk paint available? Thanks!

Sandy said...

Janet, you did an amazing job on this harlequin dresser! Plus what a cute and creative way to present it to us. Keep up the great job.....love your blog!!!

Linda at French Hollow said...

It is truly amazing how both you and Connie came up with (and beautifully executed) such fabulous harlequin dressers at the same time! I think there must be a special secret ingredient in Annie's paint...

Christine @ Stonehouse Living said...

Hi Janet,
Beautiful dresser!
Love the colours and the detail of the design. The whimsy is such a great idea too, helps break up all of those pulls!
Great tips as well!
All the Best,
Christine

Carrie said...

Loving the post title! Lol! Great tutorial too - pinned it, and your newest GFC groupie. Thanks for the inspiration.

Aprons and More said...

Too cute!!

Katy :)

Sue said...

Janet, I am so in love with this piece!!! I see you used "Waxine.". She was developed by the ASCP dealer here in Dayton. Keep creating these gorgeous painted pieces!
:-)

Kathleen Grace said...

The dresser is beautiful, I really love the colors you use and the bows for pulls are genius:>)

deborah@confessions of a craigslist junkie said...

Love it Janet! The ribbon pulls are perfect, and the Henrietta is a nice accent. I'm going to have to make a trip to your shop to see some of your other special pieces (they probably don't last long there though, do they?)

Pamela said...

What a cute dresser! Thanx for sharing with us at the party!

Patricia said...

Beautifully painted dresser and my favorite part are the fabric drawer pulls. Totally different and unique, I love it.