Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Kings of Customer Service




Hello Friends, I would like to first say a huge THANK YOU to all of you who were kind enough to take  time to wish me a Happy Birthday. Your wishes made my day even better than it already was.


My son Sean and his lovely girlfriend Crystal ( of 8 years! ) invited my hubby and me to Crystal's new townhouse for dinner. Oh...what a dinner it was. They had cooked all day. On the menu was eggplant parmesan , which is my all time favorite, corkscrew pasta and homemade sauce, crisp green salad and fabulous italian bread. The table was beautifully set , the food was delicious and the company was perfect. My older son Billy turned up as a surprise, which made the evening even better. It is not very often I get all my three favorite guys all together at the same time, so I was in heaven. To top off the evening I was presented with a Coldstone Creamery strawberry and Red Velvet ice cream cake...YUM!!

I also gave myself a birthday present in the form of a new coffee maker. My old pot was a Farberware electric percolator I had bought a few years back. I love the flavor that you get from these oldfashioned pots..so rich and flavorful. I would always get compliments on my coffee when I had guests over.

Unfortunately, appliances do not last forever and mine gave up and died Sunday. I went online to research a replacement and to my dismay Farberware no longer makes my model. The new model is cordless and sits on a base and is now made in CHINA. The minute I read that I knew I was in trouble. After reading consumer reviews (89% bad) I decided to expand my search to other makes.

I owned a Bunn coffeemaker years ago and loved the coffee it brewed. I remember it being super fast also. My mom always had a Bunn as did my sisters. I did some online searching and found a few models that sounded pretty good. I settled on the Bunn BTX-B. Sounds like a rocket ship ;-)

I found them online at prices between $137.00 - $189.00. All the reviews were excellent and I noticed Target and Kohls carried them. Off I went in search of my new family member.

Target did not have it so I went to Kohls who did stock it. To my dismay it was priced at $189.00 ! I knew I could by it online at Amazon for $140.00 w/ free shipping. I asked to talk with the manager about the price. A very nice young lady showed up and I told her what I wanted and about the price I had seen it for on the internet. Mind you...not the Kohls official site, but just a general product comparison site.

Kohls was under no obligation to match any lower price just because I said I found one. Unbelievably, the manager offered to sell me my Bunn BTX-B for $139.00....that's a $50.00 savings!!! Kohls rocks big time!! That to me is the ultimate customer service and why Kohls has a lifelong patron in me. The moral of this story....don't be afraid to ask, they just might say YES!!

  Here is my new morning buddy! My Bunn BTX-B Thermocarafe coffee maker...isn't she a beauty? She brews the most delicious 'Hot' coffee in 3 minutes! The best thing about this girl is that she is MADE IN the USA!!!  The flip lid on the top had a tiny chipped hinge when I took it out of the box. I e-mailed Bunn Sunday night and Monday am I received a personal e-mail from Greg, telling me my new lid was in the mail, no charge. Talk about great customer service...Yay America, we can still do it ;-)

 Until next time..be kind and stay creative..I'm going to have a second cup of coffee ;-)

11 comments:

quiltcat said...

Great deal on the coffee maker from Kohl's! and great customer service from Bunn, too. Enjoy many cups of yummy coffee from you new pot! Have you tried the coffee at Red Truck Bakery yet? I like very dark roast, and their High Octane is just that...they sell beans as well as by-the-cup.

Tweed Thoughts said...

Ooooh, I can smell your lovely fresh coffee in the Outer Hebrides! Mmmmmmmm :) Sounds like you had a great day - hooray for great customer service, nothing beats it!!

Angie @ thejunkranch said...

Glad you had a happy day and so glad you stopped by my blog this morning...

Audrey said...

Congratulations on the new coffee maker!! We've often talked to managers when we find something we would like and know it's at a better price else where. It's amazing how easy they are to bargain with sometimes.

Abreaka Studios said...

good to hear you had a great birthday! :)))

Wanda..... said...

Great coffee pot Janet and I love Kolhs too... I had broken a nice pair of earrings once...took them in to see if they could be repaired...they gave me new ones.

Joey Gilroy said...

Did you check Walmart for a new coffee maker? :)

Jacquelyn Stager said...

Hello, I stumbled upon your blog somehow. That is amazing that Kohl's gave you the benefit of the price break. I wouldn't have even been inclined to ask, but good for you. Now I want to go shopping! Come visit me sometime at www.lifebetweenthebuns.blogspot.com

Patsy said...

My dad has two Farberware percolators. A large one at his house and a small one on the lake house. Love that coffee. Sorry I missed your birthday. Hope you had a great one!!

shelley said...

hi janet,
happy birthday!!! i'm stopping by via marilyn's blog cottage reflections, nice to meet you! i'm sure your newphew jon is a special young man, i always love meeting new families in the special needs community! andddd customer service means the difference in today's society of a business staying in business, i know this first hand as our family owns a family run pharmacy (which specializes in pet and equine) since 1964 and one thing my husband has always done is stress customer service, he is now serving grandchildren's families of his dad's old customers. So good for kohl's nice to see a "big box" store caring!

Bits of Fiber said...

Happy Belated Birthday!!!! Been crazy busy keeping up with business at the barn. It's a good thing except I keep running out of time to check out my favorite posts so sorry I missed your special day!
Cheers,
Chantal