Thursday, May 6, 2010

Friday is Pieday !

 
Hello friends...yes, it is Friday and I have such an easy recipe for you today. You know the phrase 'Easy as Pie' well I think this is the pie they were referring to. We are going to bake a Coconut Custard Impossible Pie. It is one of those pies where you put everything in a blender, pour it into a pie pan and it makes it's own crust while cooking. How cool and easy is that!
                                      
For todays pie you will need:
1. 1/2 cup all purpose baking mix- I used Bisquick
2. 2 cups milk
3. 3/4 cup granulated sugar
4. 4 eggs
5.1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick) softened
6. 1 tsp vanilla
7. 1 1/3 cup good flaked sweetened coconut
                                           
Place all the ingredients except the coconut in your blender and blend on low speed for 3 minutes.
                                          
                                                   Pretty easy so far..don't you think?
                                        
Pour mixture into 9 inch pie pan that you have buttered or sprayed with non stick spray.
                                        
Sprinkle the coconut flakes over the pie and gently push them down just a little..leave some exposed.
                                        
                                                               It should look like this.
                                        
Bake in a 350 degree preheated oven for about 40 minutes and until light golden brown and the center feels set.
                                        
This pie has a nice thick custard texture and a rich coconut flavor and it really did make it's own crust! I believe this IS rocket science!!
                              
I can think of many great ways to serve this yummy dessert. You could top it with pineapple for a pina-colada taste. Drizzle it with a decadent homemade fudge sauce or some simple sliced fresh strawberries. I could also see making this in cupcake pans for individual pies...the possibilities are endless.
OK...now i will fill you in on a little secret. The pie you see in the photos is a healthier version of my recipe. I wanted to try to cut out some of the cholesterol, fat and some calories..so I made a few experimental changes. I used Egg Beaters instead of whole eggs....fat free evaporated milk instead of whole...and Smart Balance Buttery Spread instead of butter. I put my pie in the oven and hoped for the best and guess what.........It was creamy and delicious! By making those changes I saved thousands of
calories ...well maybe not thousands, but I knocked off quite a few. So give it a try ;-)
**********************************************************************************
I also spent another day in my studio creating a new Couture apron.  I have been inspired lately by the fashion art on the sewing patterns of the 1950's. Did women really have tiny waists like that...?
                                         
I love how she turned out...so frilly and feminine. A little ironic that she was originally a mans Lands End oxford dress shirt and a curtain valance. I love when found items can be so totally transformed into something so very different than what they where.
                                                  
I fashioned this fabric flower from a piece of drapery edging and added a diamond accent vintage button.
                                                  
This beauty has four layers. The top overskirt is comprised of two vintage doilies and a lovely printed hankie in the center.
                                                  
Now you know I had to add a feminine bow at the back...you knew that, right??
                                                  
If you lift the top three overskirts you will uncover my little secret pocket for special found treasures. This ones trimmed with vintage cotton eyelet lace that I received as gift from my friend Heather of Bebe and Alice...thank you Heather!
These were my inspiration...that waist can't be real!
Audrey Hepburn's wedding dress in Funny Face inspired me also. Isn't she divine?
                                                 
So I hope you like her...now I have to go write a little story to go along with her and then into my Etsy shop she goes. That's it for now...what have you been up to??
Until next time...be kind and stay creative.

13 comments:

Kelly Ann said...

yummo looking pie...and good job on cutting the calories...thousands...wow you are a genius...
btw...did you get the button hole fancy foot working??

Kathleen Grace said...

Oh that pie looks so good and so easy! I may have to tryi it! You know I love the apron. It used to be a mans shirt and a curtain valence? You are some kind of genius! I would never have guessed

mary t said...

Loved the pie recipe, any suggestions on what to top it with in place of the coconut,,,,hate the flavor...lemon peel, thin slices of lemon, almond slivers???? have you tried anything else?

w said...

ok. that pie looks way too easy. and it's settled. i will in fact, make it. i will! and that's because you refuse to send me slices. cruel.

i love your aprons. i think i'll say that every time i comment.

My Life Under the Bus said...

Gorgeous apron and ironically it matches the pie !

Happy Friday !!!

Audrey said...

I love coconut, however hubby is slightly allergic. The Apron is amazing!!!!

Stephanie Tarver said...

I love this pie! It looks so easy and quick.
**Well the apron is just beautiful,but I promise I wont buy it..hehehe

Hilary said...

Thanks for your comment over at my blog - yes it's a big deal for us!

Gorgeous pie and gorgeous apron,I think that design of apron will make anyone have a perfect cinched in waist, although after all that pie... !

Lisalulu said...

that apron is to die for... you are such an artist

Jennifer Juniper said...

You made my favorite pie on my birthday weekend? That can't be a coincidence! And that apron is so special, a work of art. I love the little pocket :)

The Little Fox said...

This looks decadently yummy!
xoxo

so many memories said...

Each apron is more amazing than the last! I'm in awe!!!!

Atelier Conti said...

Sounds delicious. The apron is even more delicious! These creations are just spectacular.