Hello friends....you came back, I'm so glad.
So as my post title indicates, I have been packing a gun lately.
A staple gun, that is.
A little while back I picked up this nice French styled side chair.
She was all kinda brown and gold with some worn through upholstery.
However, she was very sturdy and worthy of a makeover.
The wood stain was not showing off her lovely legs or pretty hands to their fullest.
I decided that needed to change.
Yup...you guessed it, Annie is going to help me.
I gave her wood fame two coats Old White.
I used a Joann's coupon to shield the fabric from the paint.
Can't wait to see the checkout gal's face when I hand her my coupon covered in chalk paint.
Did you guys know you can get a really cool crackle effect with chalk paint?
Just brush it on thickly and apply some heat from a blowdryer.
Not so hard that you move the paint, just enough to speed dry it.
It will crack all on it's own...very cool.
After I distressed with a 220 grit sandpaper, I applied a coat of clear wax.
I want to keep this piece light a very girly looking so I decided not to use any dark wax.
Here is where I got to play with my gun...staple gun that is.
I added some additional batting for some extra softness.
Right about here is where it all started to go so very wrong.
If you notice, I have the new fabric stapled to the front edge of the frame.
I totally forgot about this thin wood strip that gets nailed to the underside edge of the front of the frame.
"Honey, where did you put the pliers?"
Upholstery mistakes are NOT fun!
What I should have done is wrapped the fabric all the way under the front and stapled to the underside.
Live and learn.
So after hours of fiddling around with the seat, I think I finally got it right.
Are you ready to see her?
Once again, this is what she looked like when I brought her home from the thrift shop.
And here she is now.
Much more 'Girly' wouldn't you agree?
Her curvy little hands are so lovely.
I slipcovered the back of my chair and in keeping with the 'girly' theme,
I was compelled to include bows...lovely grosgrain bows.
Piping always makes my slips look so professional.
I even added two bows to the bottom of the back slipcover.
They make for a nice snug fit.
This is the culprit that gave me so much trouble.
See what I mean about needing to wrap the fabric under the front and not having staples on the front edge?
I hot glued my gimping to the leg corners.
(and my fingers)
I really love her.
As you can see, I had to find a different fabric for the seat.
The stapling mistake meant that I cut the seat fabric too short.
This was a designer remnant and I didn't have enough for a second cut.
After raiding my remnant stash, I found this pretty vintage looking yellow stripe.
The two patterns were a great match, all the same colors and I think it works.
See gals...if Plan A falls through, go with Plan B!
I just love the bows...so feminine and so easy.
Not too bad for a first try.
She is headed to my Fox Den shop this wningeek.
I hope someone falls in love with her like I have.
I wanted to share a couple of photos that I took this weekend.
We had a doozy of a storm come through Sunday evening.
I grabbed my camera and snapped a few awesome weather shots.
I believe these are Mammatus clouds.
See how they look like sacs hanging from the sky.
|taken through an upstairs window|
After the storm comes the rainbow.
A lovely..lovely rainbow.
I love Mother Nature
Until next time...be kind and stay creative.
Sharing with these fun blogs this week
Come meet some new friends