Sunday, January 29, 2012

~Paint Transformations...following Annie Sloan's lead~

Hello friends.....it's very early Sunday morning 
and I am sitting in my favorite chair (Salvation Macy's) 
and quietly enjoying a hot cup of coffee. 
Miss Carmen has developed 
a habit of nudging me in the face every morning at 4:45 am.
Don't adjust your screen....
I did say 4:45 am.....Sheesh!
And you wonder how I manage to snap so many gorgeous Virginia 
sunrise photos??

Orange juice anyone?
Enjoy!

This week end I hid myself in my basement while working on 
my newest dresser restyle.

Pardon the photo quality..these were taken in a basement with a cell phone.
I found this little children's armoir
at my Salvation Macy's.
It is solid maple from the 1960's.
I know that because someone wrote on the inside door:
"Solid Maple from the 1960's"
I am such an astute detective...I see clues others miss.

Love the little pull out clothes hanger rack....too cute and very functional.

This is a great piece, just very ....bland and very orange.
My inspiration for the color came from one of my students at my Annie Sloan workshop last week.
She had painted a sample board in Coco and Duck Egg Blue.
When the piece was distressed, the two colors were so beautiful layered.
I knew that was going to be my next color combo.

so I took her from this....
*
*
*
to this...
What do you think?
I knew right away that I wanted to paint something on the door.
It was a blank canvas in my eyes.
While trying to decide what to paint, I remembered seeing a simple, but beautiful design that
Annie Sloan had demonstrated in her book,
Annie called it "cow parsley" but we in America know it as
Queen Anne's Lace.
It was so easy...I'll show you how I did it.

I took a cut piece of cereal box and tipped the edge into some Old White.

Then I simply made long loose stems..no perfection here please!
Rustic charm is the goal..keep it loose.

I made the dots with the end of a match stick.
After my cow parsley dried thoroughly..the dots might take a little longer, so don't rush, I lightly sanded to make it appear worn.

Nice touch...don't you think.
Anyone can do this and you don't even need a paint brush!

I did the same design on the large wooden knobs, 
but I used Coco instead of Old White.
The old knobs looked chunky and dated
now they look stylish.

I love the Coco peaking through the Duck Egg 
and the patina of the clear and dark wax.

I painted the drawer sides in Coco
 for a nice visual when you open one.

Love it when I can salvage the original knobs.
See the subtle Coco underneath?


I am really happy with the pretty simplicity of this piece.

So that's my latest.
I can see this armoire in a child's room or maybe a farmhouse kitchen.
You could hang your vintage linens and dish towels on the pull out rack.
Sweet!
Thanks for the inspiration Annie!

I will be sharing my little dresser with these lovely blogs:

Stay tuned my friends...I have a fabulous 
GIVEAWAY
planned for this week.
You are going to love it!!

Until next time...be kind and stay creative.

                                                               

35 comments:

Kelly Ann said...

OMG...she is beautiful...I'm saying BEAUTIMUS...the bomb..to DIE for..lovely..lovely lovely lovely...
xoxo
KA

Lady Courtney said...

I love it! Called my daughter and left a message about it...just sent her the link to the blog...it was good seeing you, thanks for the help in deciding which color to buy. :) donna

Katie @ Wildwood Creek said...

Beautiful! Love the two colors together and the design on the door.

Glenda @ Magnolia Bend Drive said...

I love those colors too. What a beautiful transformation! I agree, would look so fun in a farm house kitchen.

Laura at Ms. Smartie Pants said...

I am so really want to do a project with duck egg, but it looks alot like my provencal, is it? I have an old armoire that would look awesome painted with that same design! Love it!!!

Anonymous said...

I love, love,love this piece! Robin

Claire said...

You know Janet if I lived close enough, I would be driving the van over right now to buy that beauty from you, but I think I might have to join the queue! ........it's gorgeous and the Cow Parsley/QAL (which I do love, my mum used to grow it) has sold me as well as the fact that's it's just a lovely piece of furniture.

I could fill it with all sorts of treasures. Thanks for the little 'how to' on the decoration, who would've thought eh?

Oh by the way, it's raining here, we've had over an inch so far, yippee...

Claire X

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

What a transform - love the milk weed detail and the way your 'wear and tear' looks natural. Thanks for sharing.

Beth J. Beal said...

As usual, you have outdone yourself! Lovely! My old Harriet kitty is laying on me as I try to read and tyoe. You've got to love them!

joanne said...

I think those two colours together are my favourite! So many possibilities. Lovely, beautiful, gorgeous!!!

Anonymous said...

Janet!!

totally love it!!! This is sooo me! thanks for the tip about the small details. I will copy that one!

xoxo adri

Connie in Hartwood said...

I love how this turned out!! Duck Egg and CoCo are so great together ... and your painted flower detail is the perfect finishing touch! What a productive weekend you had.

Carmen is STILL waking you up at that awful hour? You poor thing ... I woke up at 4 this morning, but it wasn't cat induced.

Chris said...

Stunning!!

Janet said...

beautiful job Janet; I love it!

Debra from Bungalow said...

My jaw dropped. it's just gorgeous! Thanks for sharing the technique.

Itchin' Stitchin' said...

I love it! I have this same dresser in my daughters room .. I put fabric on the door and painted the knobs gold, and the whole things white... ♥ the color choice on yours.

Norma's Kentiques said...

I love this piece! I love that style of piece anyway, had one when my kids were little, but you've turned it into something AWESOME!

Sandy said...

VERY nice, Janet!!! Love your talent and inspiration! Keep it up, Girl!

thistlewoodfarm said...

You are so talented! I love the idea for painting the stems of the flowers and I pinned it!
blessings,
karianne

Kathleen Grace said...

I have always thought these little armoires are so adorable! I love what you did with this one.

Little Blue Mouse said...

That's gorgeous! I love the cow parsley.

Wanda..... said...

The dresser really couldn't be more perfect!

Maria @ All Things Luxurious said...

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL! Wow!

Linda at French Hollow said...

Awesome transformation Janet!

Debbie refreshrestyle said...

It looks great Janet! Thanks for the teaching me that painting technique! Love it!
Debbie

deborah@confessions of a craigslist junkie said...

Very sweet--the Queen Anne's Lace design is the crowing touch!

You're going to have to figure out a way to reset Carmen's clock! One thing about getting up so early though, you've either been very productive or taking long afternoon naps, and both alternatives sound pretty good!

Devon said...

that is so beautiful..and how clever,,so wish I lived closer to you,,and I saw your pinterest post with the new color,,cant wait,,

Multi Level Life said...

In Love! Saw your link on Shades of Amber and have pinned this to my Chalk Paint Ideas board. One of the prettiest pieces I've seen. Will be looking through your older posts.

Thanks (and please say "hi" to your hubby, so he doesn't hurt me :-)
Sara

Multi Level Life said...

In Love! Saw your link on Shades of Amber and have pinned this to my Chalk Paint Ideas board. One of the prettiest pieces I've seen. Will be looking through your older posts.

Thanks (and please say "hi" to your hubby, so he doesn't hurt me :-)
Sara

Tammy said...

What a great find! You did a fantastic job! I love the "Cow Parsley"!!! Thanks for the tip. Pinning this:)

Erin said...

So whimsical and perfect! You really gave that plain jane dresser a gorgeous facelift, Janet!

Anonymous said...

Undeniably believe that which you said. Your favorite reason seemed to be on the internet the simplest thing to be aware of. I say to you, I certainly get irked while people consider worries that they plainly don't know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top as well as defined out the whole thing without having side effect , people can take a signal. Will probably be back to get more. Thanks
Mens Rainbow Sandals UNC Eastcape Sandals

Virginia said...

Janet, I think I have the little rolltop child's desk that matches this armoire! Did you ever sell this piece?

kim's kreations said...

This is absolutely gorgeous!!! I'll be trying your technique as soon as I find something to do it on!!!

kim's kreations said...

This is absolutely gorgeous!! I'll be trying your technique as soon as I find something to do it on!!