Hello friends...I love seeing your little faces back here again...yes, I can see you and you are smiling right now!
|this was my only 'before' photo|
So I've completed my fourth slipcover and as Jim Carey said in the movie 'MASK'..."Somebody Stop Me!"
To start with, I need to assemble all the essentials.
Lot's of pins and lot's of coffee...in a vintage cup and saucer please!
My loveseat has one of those awful attached back cushions. I hate those things and have always wondered why they started that design. A loose cushion is so much more practical and stylish.
I started with my seam ripper and as I removed stitches, I was relieved to see that the underneath the back was covered in fabric.
The back of the cushion however was not...I'll deal with that later.
So here is my hide-a-bed minus the back cushion. This floral fabric must have been popular 10 years ago, because I see it all the time at my Salvation Macy's.
So to solve the problem of the naked back cushion, I took a thrifted bed skirt and used the white base fabric to create a new skin for my cushion.
This step took the longest..I hand stitched it so it would be super snug.
Ok..you guys know the drill by now. Fit and pin inside out and then add the piping.
I'm now purchasing this stuff in bulk. Yeah...I'm that serious about my slips now.
Here is my 'don't be afraid of piping' photo. Again, it's a simple sandwich of fabric/piping/fabric.... ladies, embrace the piping sandwich !
To solve the problem of the inside hide-a-bed aspect, I simply encased the raw edges in wide seam binding. Worked like a charm and so easy.
I have not bothered to secure the slip to the wood frame, because the seat cushion seems to hold it pretty snug...no problems.
My back cushion is now reversible and removable. Much more practical and functional.
Soft gathered corners keep the skirt from looking too stiff or formal.
I closed the bottom of the back and the seat cushion with velcro also.
I am so pleased with how the back turned out.
My new slipped hide-a-bed-loveseat.
I had to really pay attention to lining up the birds evenly, which can be a challenge because the fabric is inside out. I think I did ok.
I just love her! Up-to-date and fresh.
As in my last slipped chair, I used sew in velcro on both sides of the back for closure.
The velcro is so easy to install and works great.
I fell in love with this pretty fabric that I found on Fabric.com for less than $6.00 a yard!
The side table is a $10.00 thrifted find that I painted and distressed just a touch.
Oh...surprise.. guess what I found at my Salvation Macy's!!!!
Yep, another great $40.00 find that will go through an 'extreme makeover' of the slipping kind very soon.
I'll leave you with a few very simple photos.
|my collection of house sparrow eggs|
This is a sweet tiny ceramic dish that my sister Maddy gave me. She knows I love my birds.
Thank you Maddy.
The blue feather is one that I found tucked in a house sparrow nest. These house sparrow eggs were gathered by me and the centers blown out to preserve them.
Ok...before you start a letter writing campaign about cruelty to birds, house sparrows are not protected by the law. They are an extremely predatory and mean species, that is known for attacking whole bluebird families. I've witnessed this first hand and it is very sad.
If you click on the photo caption above, you can read about them.
We have five Bluebird boxes and I am constantly removing sparrow nests and eggs.
Thought you might enjoy watching this little guy come in for a little drink. He is getting used to me and my camera.
Until next time...be kind and stay creative.
I will be away from my blog for a few days. My sweet Mom is undergoing some cancer surgery and I will be taking care of her for a while.
I would like to wish all my fellow 'Moms' a very HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY this Sunday.
I'll be sharing with these creative blogs: