Wednesday, May 2, 2018

No darling...not that Washington! A visit to a historic Virginia town

Hello friends...welcome back and
 Happy MAY!
Spring has finally arrived and Virginia is looking mighty lovely.
I took a ride the other day and ended up in a tiny hamlet called
Washington, Virginia.
Yup...please don't confuse this lovely town with the big Washington, DC, although they do have a very cool connection.
Our very first American President, George Washington himself surveyed the still current boundaries and layout of this sweet village.
George was a young man at the time, back in July 1749.
What drew me in was the 
TULIPS!
Get ready for an avalanche of photos.


 The scenery on the way was so bucolic and peaceful. It didn't hurt that the day could not have been more beautiful.


These tall and jumbo tulips which were blooming everywhere pulled me right in.


 So pretty


 Tulips and Boxwood everywhere!


I bet these huge white tulips just glow in the moonlight!


 Striking reds


 Yellow and orange tulips paired beautifully next to deep blue violets and Muscari


The Inn at Little Washington is the main hub of this hamlet.
The Inn is 5 Star, 5 Diamond property and world-renowned for the exquisite food, service, and decor.
Over the years, the Inn owners have purchased and historically renovated many of the surrounding buildings. This makes for a lovely coherent design and the seasonal upkeep is unmatched.


Right now is tulip season and you will not be disappointed. When the tulips are done blooming, more flowers will take their place.


Aren't the just so lovely?


What was once the church Parsonage is now a lovely Bed & Breakfast right across the street from the Inn.


Beautiful garden structure nestled among the serene white tulips in the Episcopal church garden.


Just a short video of the calming fountain and flowers around it.
I could have sat on that bench for hours.
And those chimes!!



This is the street side of the Parsonage, which is a lovely B&B now. I loved the covered porch on the side.
Neatly sculpted Boxwoods line the stone wall.
So southern.





This is also a great artist community.
Amazing art.


This piece fooled me from across the street...upon closer inspection, I saw it was made of cement and tiles!
So cool!


Happy pansies



 I found a public path that took you back behind the B&B's.
I could enjoy a cocktail on this curtained veranda.


Jumbo urn filled with beautiful flowers and greenery.
They had placed pairs of Adirondack chairs here and there on the green lawns, so you could stop and take in all the beauty at your own pace.


Largest grapevine Ball I have ever seen.


I fell in love with this old-fashioned white lilac shrub.
I rarely see white lilacs, most folks seem to always plant the purple variety.
These were heady with the most delicious aroma.


The Inn is known for growing its own produce and supplying the chef with fresh eggs daily.
I loved that they invited all to wander through their gardens.


Well hello, Mr. & Mrs. Gardener.


Lettuce varieties, broccoli, tomatoes, peppers, onions, herbs and so much more were all sharing space in this tidy well-kept garden.
Walking through the garden was fun...until I walked right into the sprinkler path!!
LOL....then it was WET fun!

.

Hello lovely ...they have sheep, goats, and llamas here also.


Check out the very unique chicken coop!!
A chicken coop with British bunting...can't beat that.


All in all, it was a glorious afternoon to wander around this pretty little town.
Most shops were closed as it was Tuesday and apparently that is the day everything is closed. However I didn't come to shop, I loved that I had this little gem all to myself.
If you live local or ever passing through, be sure to stop in and enjoy 
Washington, Virginia 
for yourself.
Thank you for letting me share it with you.
Until next time...be kind and stay creative.
Hugs,
Janet xox

No comments: