Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christmas Eve in Virginia

 Well it is finally here, Christmas eve. I must admit it really snuck up on me this year. I decided that I was not going to get so involved in goliath baking marathons as in the past. This was going to be my year to really relax and enjoy the season. I must say it worked out quite well so far.  Instead of baking twelve different kinds of cookies and assorted candies, I decided on my cream cheese pound cakes and my vintage Chunky candy recipe. Wow...why was I driving myself crazy all those years. Trying to do way too much and not enjoying any of it. My stress level was very low this season. As an example, the top strand of lights on my tree went dark this year. Now normally that would totally freak me out and I would have to undo the whole tree and replace the lights and re hang everything. Not this year.....I got a step ladder, grabbed the lower lights, yanked them up to the top and said "fixed". Looks fine to me! Sometimes you just have to let go of perfection and embrace real life, warts and all.
 This evening my family in New York will be gathering at my brother Ricky's house for the anual Christmas Eve party. I really miss being able to be there. It has always been too far to travel. The few I have made it too were great..noisy, fun, good food and great people. Maybe when Metz retires we will be close enough to go. Until then photos of everyone having fun will have to suffice.
 I am expecting my guys home tonight. I can't wait to see them, they always make me laugh. We have never had a bad Christmas yet and I am sure this year will be wonderful as well. It has changed since they have grown....they used to get us up at 4 am and now they sleep in until 10am.  No more running down the stairs, now they run to the coffee pot. Paper would fly every where, now they slowly open each package with care. Very funny.
 Well I must close now, but I would like to wish you all a Merry Christmas and a very healthy and Happy New Year. Please keep in touch and come visit my blog whenever you can. I look forward to hearing from you. 

No comments: