Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Because so many have asked...Sugarfree Strawberry Rhubarb Pie Recipe

Hello friends....how is your week going?
I started mine with a beautiful and delicious homebaked pie.
Talk about beginning the week on a positive note!

 While at my local market, I noticed they had some really fresh and wonderful looking rhubarb for sale. Strawberry Rhubarb Pie is probably my absolute favorite pie.

 The tartness of the rhubarb paired with the sweetness of fresh strawberries is simply heaven here on earth.
 I posted these photos on my Instagram account and started to receive so many recipe requests, that I thought I would post the recipe here for anyone who might like to give it a try.

I mean, just the color is divine!

Of course, if you are going to go to the effort of baking a pie, 
you HAVE to bake some
 Pie Crust cookies!!
Any leftover crust is rolled out flat, brushed with melted or softened butter, sprinkled with sugar and cinnamon, then rolled to a log and cut.
Bake at 350 degrees until golden.
Brew some coffee or a cup of tea and enjoy!!!
******
 Please note, I bake my pies with Erythritol, which a naturally occurring sugar alcohol (not that kind of alcohol). Erythritol is 70% as sweet as regular sugar, zero calories and does NOT raise your blood sugar level. Yes, if consumed at very high levels, some may experience some mild digestive issues, because it is not digested by your body.  I have not experienced any symptoms. However, having a piece of pie or using some in your coffee shouldn't cause any problems.
Erythritol is becoming a very common sweetener now found in many foods. 
I buy mine on the Internet..check your local store also
******
Ok...here is the recipe.
Preheat oven to 425 F degrees

Filling
2 1/2 cups sliced fresh rhubarb
2 1/2 cups thick sliced fresh strawberries
1 1/2 cups Erythritol
2 tablespoons minute tapioca
1 tablespoon flour  
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon real vanilla
3-4 tablespoons butter
mix together all ( minus butter)of the above ingredients, pile into your pie tin and dot with the butter.

My pie crust recipe can be found
If you prefer, you can use an already prepared pie crust from your local market.
My favorite brands are frozen crusts,
I DO NOT recommend Pillsbury refrigerated pie crusts.  
Because they are not frozen, I think they contain some extra preservatives and I feel it alters the taste.
They just do not have that homebaked consistency or flavor as the frozen crusts.
Trust me...I am a crust snob.
I remove the frozen crusts from their package and let them soften just enough to lay on top of the pie mixture.
Brush with some egg white wash and sprinkle with your sweetener.
Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 375 degrees and bake an additional 45-50 minutes or until golden and bubbly.

Tip 1: place a sheet of aluminum foil beneath the rack to catch any juices that may bubble over.
Tip 2: My hubby and I are watching our carbs, so I bake my pies with a top crust only. You may, of course, prepare your pie as a double crust version.

I hope you enjoy you enjoy this delicious pie as we do.

Until next time....be kind and stay creative.
Hugs,

                                                                                  

No comments: