Friday, October 2, 2020

Sharing my favorite art tools... Lets get inky!


Hello friends, welcome to my little blog. 
Today I want to share with you a few of my favorite art tools.
Pens!!
When I work with watercolor, oftentimes I will use a permanent ink pen to define the subjects in the painting. It will give your art a whole different look. More defined, illustrative, and less soft.

This is my favorite permanent black pen.
Micron Pigma fine black. 

Here is a good example.
You can see the painting on the left is more defined. The right is softer and more whimsical.
Same painting....two different styles.
Do you have a preference?

I love adding ink to landscapes and architectural subjects.
I think it can really make them pop in an understated way.

You can add the inking before you add your color or after. It is your choice and the look can be very different. 
This painting was inked first and then I add the watercolor. I did not worry about staying in the lines of the design. It is ok and can be very pretty to let the color bleed past the pen. 

Another pen I enjoy using in my art is the Uniball Signo White pen.
You can see how the white pen helps me to add a romantic definition to my rose petals and leaves.
Softer than black ink.

Both of these pens are easily found online and at your local art supply store.
I keep a half dozen in the studio at all times. 
Here I used both the Micron black and the Uniball white pen.
When you ink after painting, always make sure your paint is thoroughly dry.

Up close
Again, both black and white pens used here.
Do you like this 
look?

Now you have a couple of new art tools to have fun with.
Art is all about enjoying yourself and getting creative.
It's good to have a diverse box of tools to help you express yourself.
Most of all.....
HAVE FUN!!
Until next time....be kind and stay creative.

PS.....If you enjoyed this post, be sure to subscribe to my blog. You will be notified by email whenever a new creative post is published.
You don't want to miss anything!
You will find a box in the right sidebar where you can enter your e-mail address. 
I promise, NO spam, just fun.

No comments: